• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 9 months ago #48380 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: DVD Media question
Thanks for the feedback folks - here's a follow-up question

What's the difference between DVD-r and DVD+r ?

As regards backups, I take your point Phil. I have just invested in a new PC with 2 terabytes of hard-disk. This is running in RAID 10 mode giving me 1 terabyte of data storage. AFAIK this system will allow two hard disk failures with no data loss. I'm just ordering a fifth drive to allow for the failure of one of my current four drives. They're brand new so I hope not to have to use it for a while :D

The DVD's are really a "temporary" (a few years) worth of backup in case I lose data due to operator error...

Cheers
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #48384 by Brian Richards
Replied by Brian Richards on topic Re: DVD Media question
David,

DVD-R is a slightly older format and will play on most players, DVD+R is newer and has slightly better video quality but will not play on very old players.

For backup purposes there's no difference.

Meade 10" LX200R
Meade ETX 125 PE

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 9 months ago #48386 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: DVD Media question
Thanks for that Brian. I've ordered a stack of DVD-R's.

Dave

More
16 years 9 months ago #48475 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: DVD Media question
This is excellent info ... thanks from me as well since it will be of benefit as well.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 8 months ago #49667 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: DVD Media question

David,

DVD-R is a slightly older format and will play on most players, DVD+R is newer and has slightly better video quality but will not play on very old players.

For backup purposes there's no difference.

That's not quite true. DVD+ and DVD- were developed at about the same time. The difference is that Phillips went for - and Sony for +. It could have been a Betamax vs VHS war except that manufacturers decided to support both. Quality wise there's little difference. Capacity-wise there's no difference. All players now support both. Shop around - sometimes you see + disks for half the price of - disks - and sometimes the other way around. I always buy the cheapest at the time :D

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds