• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 1 month ago #65388 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Apple INTEL Macs
Gents,

A heartfelt thanks for the advice, suggestions, tips, links etc.

I am determined in trying to detach myself from Windows as soon as possible, for this sadistic relationship has gone on for long enough and must come to an end! I really like the possibilities that Parallels offers and especially in "coherence" mode.

I have also confirmed that user files are portable between platforms and that ports such as USB and firewire are also compatible within a Mac environment. What I see happening is for an install of Windows XP in a partition which will be strictly for Windows software and nothing else.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #65390 by dogstar
Replied by dogstar on topic Re: Apple INTEL Macs

I have also confirmed that user files are portable between platforms and that ports such as USB and firewire are also compatible within a Mac environment. What I see happening is for an install of Windows XP in a partition which will be strictly for Windows software and nothing else.

Anthony i have just installed Fedora in a partition on a xp OS.
Im only getting used to it but first impressions it seem's pretty
neat.USB work fine with it also.

oh wise man why is the universe so perfect?ah because symmetry loves herself.

11" sct,
various Apo refractors,
various cameras,
Losmandy mount.

More
16 years 1 month ago #65391 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: Apple INTEL Macs
anthony, note using parallels you still are couppled to running windows in order to host your win apps.

if you have windows apps, there is no way you can run them on any other platform other than windows. you will have to get versions released for specific platforms.

it is too bad that most software is released for windows.

of course, if the apps are written in .NET you could get the source and recompile them using Mono ( .NET implementation for unix) and then it would run on MAC, but chances are all your apps are C/C++ and no company would give you the source anyway.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

More
16 years 1 month ago #65398 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Apple INTEL Macs
Hi Anthony,

Parallels is a great solution but you may be surprised how little you end up using it. I made the switch away from Windows three years ago and at this point in time I do not run Windows on any of my Macs in any way. There is not a single computer in the house that runs Windows and I don't miss it at all.

I've found mac versions or Mac equivalents for all the software I use, hence no more parallels or bootcamp or windows. Just a pleasent and stress-free computing environment.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 1 month ago #65400 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Apple INTEL Macs
Hi Al,

Thanks for the vote of confidence surrounding my decision to pursue an Apple solution.

A few days ago I downloaded Apple's SAFARI web browser as a first step towards my acclimatization and conversion to Apple ... I have also confirmed that my email client (Mozilla Thunderbird) has a Mac version ... and ditto for my email previewer (Mailwasher Pro) which is also available for the Mac.

Other needs to be confirmed include FTP software as well as astro related goodies (SkyMap Pro, TheSky Pro, CCDSoft, Maxim/DL, Photoshop CS2, NeatImage and ULead Manager). I know that AIP4Win will not work under a strict Mac INTEL environment which means I will need a Win XP partition and Parallels for at least this piece of vital software.

Oh yeah, I must also check to see if Virtual Moon Atlas, Adobe (PDF) and Canon EOS software will work on their own and as standalone products.

That should cover my most basic and critical needs.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 1 month ago #65401 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: Apple INTEL Macs
Has this become a windows bashing thread? if so i might have to pipe up in its defence... :wink:

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds