K-Tec

Pinpointing a locatation from Lat and Long

More
19 years 3 months ago #7797 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Pinpointing a locatation from Lat and Long

Can you explain the terms "street" and "post code" to me please?

James,

Dont worry about the poscode just fill in the 'street' and 'city' e.g. for my location

Street = "Lein Gardens"
City = "Dublin"

That will get it for you. You can more precisely center (i.e. on your house location by clicking on the map.

Regards,

Dave.

You mean, if I type "middle of nowhere" or "back of beyond" then it will know exactly where I am? Now that is what I call fuzzy logic.

The electricity went off over a day ago, battery running out on this pooter and mobile, 100 mph gusts determined to relocate my polytunnel and fishing boat towards Cork.

Still, if the clouds clear then I'll have perfect viewing conditions. From 1% light polution to absolute zero!

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 1 month ago #10315 by albertw
Somewhat related I have written a tool for converting latitude and longitude (WSG84 format commonly used by GPS units) to the Irish Ordinance Survey grid at www.cademuir.net/geocaching.php

It should be accurate to within a couple of meters. Its using the easier to understand algorithm from the OSI _not_ the 7-parameter polynomial Helmert Transformation.. yet anyway!

Code is written to convert from Ordinance Survey map to lat/long (for heavens above etc, I assume that uses WSG84) but I havent made the web page for that yet.

The OSI do provide a similar service, but you have to log in to use it which was not practical for what I wanted. Source code, a php class, is available at sourceforge.net/projects/iegridconv/

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds