• donalmcnamara
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
14 years 5 months ago #82316 by donalmcnamara
Astroplanner was created by donalmcnamara
Hi folks.
Anyone here using the AstroPlanner software package?
I came across it last week on the Vixen_Sphinx user group where the developer, Paul Rodman was looking for users to Beta test his interface to Sphinx mount. Tried this bit over the week end and it works a treat. I am now looking at the rest of the package and I am impressed so far with what it does.
It's both a Windows/MAC package for planning and recording observations.
The test version can be found at www.astroplanner.net/alphabeta/
Donal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #82391 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re:Astroplanner
Donal --

Yes, I've been using AstroPlanner for several years now. The V2 beta is solid enough that I switched over to using it "for real" earlier this year.

I've also written some scripts for it if you're interested. One of them, for instance, copies an observation from AstroPlanner to the clipboard in a format that I can just paste it into this window, like so:

Pegasus I NGC7619 11/14/2009 22:30 UT; Pickering 6, NELM 5, SQM 20.3
400mm Mak-Cass @ 110X

NGC7619 and 7626 immediately obvious, with semi-stellar cores and circular halos. 7623 picked out next: it appeared stellar at 110X but showed a very diffuse halo at 150X and (more clearly) at 235X.

On the periphery, 7631 was relatively easy; careful study at 235X showed some elongation ENE-WSW. No core seen. 7611 a bit more difficult; roughly circular with a semi-stellar core. 7612 was of moderate difficulty; circular with a stellar core.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

• donalmcnamara
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
14 years 4 months ago #82392 by donalmcnamara
Replied by donalmcnamara on topic Re:Astroplanner
Hi Jeff,
I would love to look at those scripts and thanks very much for the offer. They currently are a black box to me as I come to grips with this package. Do you use Astroplaner to interface / control your scope.
I will PM you with contact details.

Donal

More
14 years 4 months ago #82394 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re:Astroplanner
Donal --

I mostly just us AP for planning sessions and for recording my observations. I'm visual only, so I don't usually take a laptop out to the scope.

I emailed you the scripts.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

• donalmcnamara
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
14 years 4 months ago #82395 by donalmcnamara
Replied by donalmcnamara on topic Re:Astroplanner
Thanks for the files Jeff.
As regards computer control of my mount, I reckon I am with you. Purely visual also. I only became involved with Beta testing of AstroPlanner because the Vixen/Sphinx/Starbook package has a perceived reputation of not being able to talk to applications. This is defiantly not the case here.
AstroPlanner itself is a really cool package with lots of catalogues way beyond what I will ever see.
Donal

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds