K-Tec

Using Virtual PCs for Astro Imaging.

• DaveGrennan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
14 years 3 months ago #83032 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re:Using Virtual PCs for Astro Imaging.
Mark,

I loaded up virtualbox last night and I must say I'm very impressed. I loaded windows 7 onto a VM and it just worked first time with no issues. I got the answer to the 'virtualising an existing machine' question. With virtualbox it is possible but a little 'involved'. It is easier with VMWare but I have been having a problem that everytime I virtualise an existing PC with VMWare I end up getting a BSOD on startup.

So all in all I'm a convert to virtualbox so thanks again for the heads up.

Just another idea if your a Linux fan (or a mac guy) it would be a straighforward matter to install windows on a VM running on a Linux base. So you have windows for the astronomy stuff and Linux for your physical machine. Best of every world.

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #83733 by mjc
Replied by mjc on topic Re:Using Virtual PCs for Astro Imaging.
Dave

I've just had one of those WOW moments.

I know that your intended use and my intended use for a virtual machine environment are not the same but I'd like to share this as a continuation of the thread as I feel its a valulable comment for anyone else considering a VM environment..

I want a Linux environment so that I can explore IRAF - the stuff that the professional sphere use. I aint got too far (I'm making slow, very slow, incremental steps).

A requirement (rather more of a strong recommendation) of an IRAF environment is that you shouldn't have to click a window to activate. Hover over part of a window and its up-front and personal. Makes for less work and one doesn't have to keep moving windows around to see what you are doing. For IRAF work it is a better way of working.

I attached a CRT as a secondary screen to my laptop (haven't had a working desktop in years). The motivation was to compare different images of Mars that I captured early Thursday morning. I wanted to compare the results of stacking different subsets of the entire 8 minute capture.
Some results were noticeably inferior and some results were indistingushable on the laptop - hence motivation to see the images on a CRT. I now fully appreciate others' comments on why you can't use LCD screens for image processing.

I decided to see what a VM would look like - and I was impressed. I put the VM in Full Screen mode on the secondary monitor and there's where the WOW comes in.
I have two screens - for two machines and the VM is in full screen mode on the secondary CRT monitor and I just have to move the mouse from the lap top to the IRAF environment and whatever app I'm hovering over pops up without a single click. Normally when one has both Windows apps and the VM visible at the same time one needs to click to give focus to the VM. But when the VM is full screen on a secondary monitor one doesn't. That's magic.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds