K-Tec

Automated file copying

More
19 years 1 month ago #10001 by finnjim2001
Replied by finnjim2001 on topic Re: Automated file copying

Folks, here's my 'predicament'

I have a laptop with a wireless card connected to my home network. My Meade DSI is plugged into the laptop and generates an image every few seconds.

I'm sat here in the study (snug and warm) by a network PC.

How can I automatically copy an image from the laptop to the network PC at regular intervals every n seconds, where n is somewhere between 5 and 60 odd. Other than using VNC file transfer... I need something automated - task scheduler is no good AFAIK.

A batch file? A VB programme? Utility software?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave McD

If they're both wintel machines have your save location a shared folder on the desktop or as suggested map this shared folder as a drive on the laptop.

Somedays you're the dog,
Somedays you're the lamp post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 1 month ago #10002 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Automated file copying
Thanks for all the help folks. I think I've figured it out...

The laptop (with the DSI connected to its USB port) is networked wirelessly to the home network. I have a shared folder on the network PC which the DSI writes to, via the laptop. I found an FTP utility (PyroBatchFTP) which will automatically upload the image every 60 seconds to my webpage. I would have liked more control over the upload interval (eg seconds) but I wasn't prepared to pay huge bucks for Automate 5...

Anyhow, the DSI combined image updates at the exposure time. So if my exposure time was one minute, that's the shortest update I could expect anyhow. Obviously, shorter exposure times (eg planets) would update the image every second or so.

So far then, I seem to have an automatic seamless connection (updated every minute) from the DSI to my homepage. So, roll on the webcasts :D

Cheers again for the help

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds