• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 1 month ago #10058 by dave_lillis
M42 with unknown satellite !!! was created by dave_lillis
Hi All,
I was taking a photograph of M42 and a satellite came across the field of view, this was by accident! , yet another M42 shot :lol:

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...-IMG_0056_small1.jpg

This is an unprocessed 5 second exposure at iso 1600 (12"LX200 + canon 300D)
I ran starry night pro to find this satellite but nothing was in the area at the time. I could not see it with the naked eye.
Can anyone ID this satellite ??

Notice the "wobble", maybe it was rotating or maybe this is the tracking inaccuracy of the drive in the scope !, I dont have the PEC programmed yet.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10066 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: M42 with unknown satellite !!!
Dave,
I would guess you could be right about the rotation of the satellite more than the off-tracking of the mount. Also, its like the satellite was brightenig as it came into view. I wonder is it possible if it could have been an Iridium Flare (though a faint one) - but this would only be the case if you were NOT looking at the sky at the time. That by the time you noticed it on camera (or in eyepiece) and then looked up, it was gone. Know what I mean?

And yes, it is another good excuse for you to post another really nice picture of Orion again! Is this your way of SHOWING OFF that you have a 12"?? Compensating for something perhaps??

:wink:

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 1 month ago #10074 by spudnik
Replied by spudnik on topic Re: M42 with unknown satellite !!!
A military/intelligence satellite perhaps. You know, the ones they don't want you to know about.........

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine" Sir Arthur Eddington

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 1 month ago #10087 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: M42 with unknown satellite !!!

Dave,
I would guess you could be right about the rotation of the satellite more than the off-tracking of the mount. Also, its like the satellite was brightenig as it came into view. I wonder is it possible if it could have been an Iridium Flare (though a faint one) - but this would only be the case if you were NOT looking at the sky at the time. That by the time you noticed it on camera (or in eyepiece) and then looked up, it was gone. Know what I mean?

And yes, it is another good excuse for you to post another really nice picture of Orion again! Is this your way of SHOWING OFF that you have a 12"?? Compensating for something perhaps??

:wink:

Seanie.

yes, compensating :lol: :lol:
If it was an iridium then it was very fast and/or faint and starry night would show it or is it that accurate ?

This was the first night I used the GEG on the scope and I found that if I used the optional focal reducer at certain locations in the GEG (you have more then one point), then there was significant vignetting.
this is one of those images, without the focal reducer the image is better.

It might well be a military satellite.
I read somewhere (not sure if its true) that the US military have several HST sized survailance satellites up there ?!?
or was that out of the x-files :lol:

More
19 years 1 month ago #10107 by slattts
Replied by slattts on topic Re: M42 with unknown satellite !!!
Dave,

Any possibility that you caught a meteor? Just that other satellite streaks I've seen from that area seem to be evenly lit, and the tumbling and gradual illumination would be consistent with a flyin' rock...

-- Denis S.

(Nice Trap by the way!)

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 1 month ago #10108 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: M42 with unknown satellite !!!
Slatts,
I see where you're coming from, but since I dont have the RA drive trained, I cant be sure of the wobble ??
Cool if it was a wobbling rock :P
The the dimming towards to to could be vignetting due to the GEG and since it was the first and so far only night I got to use it, I need to experiment with it more to see for certain.

This is the first time I've ever seen vignetting in this scope, I put int down to the GEG f/r configuration.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds