Veil Nebula HaOiiiRgb

• richardsweeney
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
5 years 6 months ago #107310 by richardsweeney
Veil Nebula HaOiiiRgb was created by richardsweeney
Hi. This is my take on a section of the Veil Nebula. A rare foray into narrowband for me and a target selected on a whim while trying to stay as far from the moon as practicable.

The Veil Nebula resides 2,100 light years away in the constellation Cygnus and is one of the best known supernova remnants. Known for it's whispy filamentary structures it's all that remains of a star that was about 20 times as massive as our own. Estimated to have gone supernova some 10,000 years ago it would have been bright enough to have cast shadows here on Earth! It's suspected that before the star exploded it expelled a strong stellar wind, blowing a large cavity into the surrounding gas.

"As the shock wave from the supernova expands outwards, it encounters the walls of this cavity — and forms the nebula's distinctive structures," they added. "Bright filaments are produced as the shock wave interacts with a relatively dense cavity wall, whilst fainter structures are generated by regions nearly devoid of material. The Veil Nebula's colorful appearance is generated by variations in the temperatures and densities of the chemical elements present." ESA

This was captured over 3 nights with my Takahashi Epsilon 130

Zwo Asi 1600mm Astrodon Ha 5nm 5 hrs in 150 second subs at gain 221 -20 deg

Zwo Asi 1600mm Astrodon Oiii 3nm 3 hrs in 150 second subs at gain 221 -20 deg

Zwo Asi 071 25 minutes in 30 second subs at gain 50 -5 deg

Captured with Sequence Generator Pro

Stacked in Astro Pixel Processor

Processed in APP, PI, and PS

Richard.

[img
Veil HaOiiirgb by Richard Sweeney , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Kinch, mykc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #107312 by Kinch
Replied by Kinch on topic Veil Nebula HaOiiiRgb
Hi Richard.....seen this on your Flickr page before here - great FoV...huge. Do you plan to expand the image area to take the full nebula in? More work eh :-)

• richardsweeney
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
5 years 6 months ago #107332 by richardsweeney
Replied by richardsweeney on topic Veil Nebula HaOiiiRgb

Kinch wrote: Hi Richard.....seen this on your Flickr page before here - great FoV...huge. Do you plan to expand the image area to take the full nebula in? More work eh :-)

Thanks Brendan, no this is it for now as i just sold my Oiii filter. I've ordered a duo narrowband filter to try it out with my Osc camera. Maybe i'll do a comparison and grab 8hrs with the colour camera.

More
5 years 6 months ago #107333 by Kinch
Replied by Kinch on topic Veil Nebula HaOiiiRgb
"duo narrowband filter"......interesting idea. Had not heard of this before (had to look it up) - good luck, it may be a winner :-)

Brendan

• richardsweeney
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
5 years 6 months ago #107334 by richardsweeney
Replied by richardsweeney on topic Veil Nebula HaOiiiRgb

Kinch wrote: "duo narrowband filter"......interesting idea. Had not heard of this before (had to look it up) - good luck, it may be a winner :-)

Brendan

For my circumstances it may just be a winner. Very little to lose in trying.

More
5 years 6 months ago #107349 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Veil Nebula HaOiiiRgb
Richard and Brendan. The standard of the astrophotography you two guys are posting here is superb. The effort that goes into producing images of that quality must be huge. Congratulations to you both.

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kinch, richardsweeney

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds