Meade DSI Pro CCD

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11035 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Meade DSI Pro CCD
Yes - very good point Dave and definately a major consideration. Tracking is the number one parameter for astrophotogrpahy - whether you're piggybacking, webcamming, ccd'ing or DSLR-ing :lol:

The better you can track the longer you can image.

But don't foget, its a combination of chip size AND 'scope focal length that gives you the field-of-view. For the same chip, the shporter the focal length, the bigger the field of view. And also, as your focal length reduces, so does the effects of seeing.

But you're right in terms of FOV. Its important to match your OTA and CCD - you shouldn't just go out and buy any CCD/OTA combination.

M51 would just fit onto the DSI with an 8" SCT and a 6.3 reducer) - if I could find it :lol: But all this will change when the AP1200 comes along on Monday :shock:

Cheers

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11036 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Meade DSI Pro CCD
We're all expecting big things from you Dave, quasars and the meaning of the universe etc, not too much pressure I hope :wink: :lol:

Seriously, with that mount, there are no limits!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11038 by dmcdona
Photometry of minor planets is my primary goal - so watch out for asteroid McDonald in the next few years... :lol:

I will of course do my best to get this beast out on the road for all those interested - so watch out for it at Whirlpool. Of course, you can join KAS and get a sneal peek... :wink:

Cheers

Dave McD

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 11 months ago #11686 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Meade DSI Pro CCD
Actually the more I look at this the more I fancy this DSI pro. The blurb seems to suggest that it can get over field-derotation to an extent by rotating the individual frames on the fly. This would mean I could use the 16inch to image really faint small fuzzies. This would also suggest that It may be able to get over minor tracking broblems with the align and stack mode on. (Assuming lots of short enough exposures in the final image.

I want to see some reviews though before I lash out 400 lids. Assuming the reviews are favourable I think I will get one, purely for imaging very faint irregular galaxies with the 16 inch.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #11689 by dmcdona
Reviews of the DSI Pro so far seem good. Field de-rotation is certainly an attribute most folks are raging about. Drizzling is another - but I'm not technically familiar with the process.

With the 16", tracking is definately your key priority. Without this, you'll find it hard to image with any CCD. But the DSI will certainly give you plenty of stacked images of a few seconds each. THe further you can push your exposre though, the better the DSI (or any CCD for that matter) will perform.

Since I already have the DSI, I won't be considering the Pro. But if I was getting into the CCD imaging arena, the Pro would be top of my list.

Check out the DSI group on Yahoo - the folks there are very knowlegable and you'll see some good pro/con discussions on the two flavours of DSI.

groups.yahoo.com/group/Meade_DSI/

Cheers

Dave McD

• DaveGrennan
More
18 years 11 months ago #11690 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Meade DSI Pro CCD

With the 16", tracking is definately your key priority. Without this, you'll find it hard to image with any CCD. But the DSI will certainly give you plenty of stacked images of a few seconds each. THe further you can push your exposre though, the better the DSI (or any CCD for that matter) will perform.

Dave,

The thing is I'm adding on a full alt-az goto tracking system for the 16". When its done I will be able to use PEC/autoguiding etc. The thing that worried me was field rotation. With the DSI pro this aint a problem anymore. Oh yeah the other thing about the DSI pro is it doubles as an autoguider using LX200 protocols. You can buy/make a relay box to accept LX200 commands to work with any mount. Just seems like a very worthwhile package.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds