Live webcast - on-air

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11046 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Live webcast - on-air
You'd be surprised - the internet technology is off-the-shelf, the DSI software is not too hard to get to grips with. Its the optical system and tracking that are the real headaches - focusing and tracking are the two biggest pains.... The rest is easily do-able by anyone with a bit of computer savvy - really.

Cheers

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11047 by DenisM
Replied by DenisM on topic Re: Live webcast - on-air
I'd innocently assumed you had an automatic tracking system of some kind. :oops:
I've seen references on this site to drive motors linked to laptops etc.
Are you tracking manually ? And do you have to time it ?

Or does the software do what I think registrax does ? (find points of similarity in the images and overlay based on those points ?)

In that case would the tracking consist of just keeping the main point of interest in the (same part of ) frame ?. I know i shouldn't use the word 'just' back there :)

Denis

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11048 by DenisM
Ahh! Now i realise why the image seems to jump in the frame when it refreshes. :D

Of course the individual final image , as an overlay of all the frames taken will register to the( possibly) first one taken, and if it is not in the same place in the frame initially as the first frame in the earlier final images, the planet will appear to jump.

possibly ?

Denis

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11049 by Greenflashman
Replied by Greenflashman on topic Live webcasts
Well done Dave,
I have just finished watching a live web cast of the hybrid solar eclipse from Panama by a Japanese team and when I went to see what was going on with the IFAS site there you are doing a live web cast of Saturn and Jupiter!

Very impressive and you make it all seem so simple as well. Any chance you will have a go at the partial solar eclipse visible from Ireland on 3rd Oct. this year? There are many eclipse chasers from the States for example who may not make it to Europe for that one and would love to watch it live on the net.

Clear skies,
Brian

"There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened."

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11050 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Live webcast - on-air
As long as we get clear skies! I'll have to check out the best viewing location and then head off there. But that would be neat and doing the folks over the pond a favour.

Cheers

Dave McD

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11051 by DenisM
Greenflashman,

Do you have a web ref for the live web cast of the hybrid solar eclipse from Panama ? Maybe it now available as a file to see.
I failed earlier to find any site with this, despite a message on this site giving several addresses :(

Denis

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds