• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11092 by ayiomamitis
Remote Power for EOS 300d was created by ayiomamitis
Dear Friends,

I was wondering if any of the hardware gurus in this group would be interested in exploring the possibility of constructing a cigarette-type lighter interface which can be used to power a Canon EOS 300d and one of the generic 12-volt batteries from Lidl? This is something that would be absolutely great for extended field use!

Last night was my first attempt to use the EOS 300d for the photography of star trails. Less than three hours into my imaging, the double battery pack was exhausted. For a quick glimpse of the result, please see www.astrovox.gr/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=467 .... I am about to apply the little algorithm described for removing sky glow.

In the event it matters, the details for the said image are as follows:

Location: Kryoneri Observatory, 09-04-2005 @ 00:33:45 - 03:13:45 UT+3
Equipment: Canon EOS 300d, EOS 50mm/f1.8 @ f4.0
Exposures: 16 x 10-11 min (165 min)
Processing: RAW-TIFF conversion, Layers & Lighten, Levels, Unsharp Masking, resampling (20%), JPG compression

Clear skies!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11101 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Remote Power for EOS 300d
Anthony,
I was going to look into this, I don't think its straight forward, but I'll have a go. I'll let you know the results.
The biggest problem will be mimicking the shape of the battery, I probabily have to get out the jigsaw cutter and make it out of wood.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11102 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Remote Power for EOS 300d
Hi Dave,

I honestly do not know of a better person to tackle this little challenge than yourself. I am very happy to learn that you will at least look into it.

I think (?) the folks at Hutech have something similar but the price is/was quite grotesque. I will look for a link in case they have some information on their website that will make things easier for you.

Thanks bud!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11103 by ayiomamitis
PS. Please see www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/canon.htm and the reference to "EOS203 - DC12V adapter for 20D/10D/D60/D30/digital Rebel - $99.00" .

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11107 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Remote Power for EOS 300d
Nice shot there Anthony! Your processing obviously paid off with regards to taking out the noise, its a very clear image. What is the bright white star in the center?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 weeks ago #11113 by ayiomamitis
Hi Seanie,

Thanks for the kind words. As for the trail in the middle, it is Saturn! The two brighter trails towards the top right corner are the Gemini twins (Castor and Pollux).

Tomorrow I will be taking the roll of film for development which was used to capture the southern celestial pole as well as the settings star trails (about three hours for each photo).

For the initial photo (link provided earlier), I was very happy to confirm that my EOS 50mm lens is in accordance with other people's observation, namely that of a very sharp lens which mimics an "L" glass type of lens. I managed to pick it up on eBay for 30 euros due to the fact that the autofocus does not work and one must use it in manual mode for focusing (as if it matters since I will be using it strictly for astrophoto work).

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds