Early Summer Milkyway 300D Shots

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11279 by Keith g
Early Summer Milkyway 300D Shots was created by Keith g
Hello All, I bit the bullet very early this morning, and drove to a very rural and dark area near my home to have a go at shooting the Summer Milkyway with my 300D (my other half now thinks i'm nuts!, maybe she's right!) I was very curious to see how the camera would perform. The skies were excellent, not a stir, so I set up the C8 with it's motor drive on, piggybacked the camera with a Canon ef 50mm F1.8 II lens and got these two shots. The first one is of the Scutum Starcloud, along with Messier Objects 11, 16 & 17. As you can see, the unmodified 300D is not as sensitive to the familiar red light of M16&M17 we see with film. I am very happy with it though. It's a stack of three frames, two minutes exposure each at ISO 400 and 200.

And This one of the Scorpius region, another stack of three shots at ISO 200, One 5minute and two 2minute exposures. You can easily see M4, and if you look, there's also M19, M62 and M80. Nice dark dust Lanes too. I'm still working on how to get rid of the light pollution at the bottom, even from a dark site, the 300D is still very sensitive to light pollution :(
I hope you like them.......
Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• galwayskywatchers
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11280 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: Early Summer Milkyway 300D Shots
Exactly what time were you out, she may be right, ha,ha. But it is very hard to get a good look of Scorpius with the impending summer twilight that will drown out all the deep sky stuff for the next three months. I see your point in getting up that early to get that picture. Especially after getting a new camera, why wait till August.

Ronan Newman

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11281 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Early Summer Milkyway 300D Shots
Keith,
I know what you mean, I came in from the back garden at 3am, and was suffering all day today because of it, it feels like I have a hangover :(
good night though, but the seeing was variable.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11282 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Ronan, I was out from 3am 'till 5am when the twighlight was just too strong, and why wait 'till August?, I find since the air is still a bit cold this time of year, the seeing is still a bit better than the summer air.

Dave, I've felt like i've had a hangover too :P I always feel this way after a heavy night imaging. Anyway, ironocally, i've just ahd a couple of beers, and magically I feel better!!! :D

I'll try and get a better Scorpius shot over the next few months back at home out on the coast in Waterford, No light pollution when looking south there!, Just dark skies! As you said Ronan, might have to wait a few months :(

Keith..

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11283 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Early Summer Milkyway 300D Shots
WOW ... those shots are cool! Especially the first one.

Milkyway shots always look cool to me!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11284 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:

ironocally, i've just ahd a couple of beers, and magically I feel better!!! :D
Keith..

I must try that next time. :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds