K-Tec

Analemma with the Temple of Aphaia

More
18 years 11 months ago #11639 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Anthony, What a Superb shot! Congratulations on your efforts. Great background, you're lucky to have that scenario i Greece, pity the weather is not up to scratch here in Ireland :(

It's lovely to see the rhythm of the Sun as we travel around it once a year.

Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #11641 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Analemma with the Temple of Aphaia

Timing to the second, yikes - that's just not going to happen with the weather here in Ireland :cry:

I hope you realize that slowly you are seeing the various mini-challenges with getting the &#(*#!^# analemma to come out! :lol:

My interest in this project was inspired by an article that S&T Senior Editor Dennis di Cicco wrote in the Mar/2000 issue (pg 135-140) and where he described the five existing analemmas in existence anywhere in the world?! He also made the comment that "one has to be nuts to try to image the sun for a whole year" and he is/was right?!

Are your solar exposures actually done at the same location as the background exposure?

All of my efforts are the sum of two images, namely the analemma itself and the foreground and this is so for two reasons: (1) I am interested in producing an analemma mosaic (eleven analemmas) when this project comes to an end ... imagine the arc of a semi-circle with the eleven analemmas gracing this arc (to be placed using the azimuth and altitude of the summer solstice of each analemma) and representing all possible forms of the (elusive) analemma from sunrise to sunset and (2) I am very hesitant in trying to shoot the foreground on the same frame as the analemma itself in the event something goes wrong and which will mean a wasted effort for yet another year.

I like the idea of doing a "sunday" version where gaps are left by bad weather - much more Ireland friendly! :lol:

It also becomes a "mini-weather station". Furthermore, such an approach (weekly schedule) means that you will be able to capture a further "hidden" artifact, namely the differential rate of movement of the sun in both azimuth and altitude during the year. For example, the change in altitude of the sun during summer solstice +/- 1 week is trivial. However, the same cannot be said during spring or fall when the change in altitude is VERY dramatic.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #11642 by ayiomamitis
Hi Keith,

I am very happy to learn of your appreciation surrounding this effort. We are very lucky to have a stunningly beautiful country with regrettably few of the locals really realizing it.

The great weather is also not exactly something to be overlooked and I do agree that this is a "hidden ace up the sleeve" with such a project and as it relates to Greece. Of course, by the same token, a successful effort from Ireland would have even more significance for the same reasons.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 11 months ago #11644 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Analemma with the Temple of Aphaia
Anthony,
Any chance you could put me up for a couple of years to allow me to try that :lol: :lol:
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #11645 by ayiomamitis
PS. John, my ten analemmas to-date plus the one in progress will basically cover the northern hemisphere and do so in a dramatic fashion (from sunrise to sunset). However, you can be the first in relation to other peculiarities surrounding the analemma: (1) imaging the analemma early morning or late afternoon from the equator which will lead to a horizontal analemma (half above the horizon and the other half below it) and/or (2) pursuing the analemma(s) from the southern hemisphere, for not a SINGLE example exists and which will effectively be upside-down (large loop on top and smaller loop on the bottom).

PPS. I STRONGLY suggest you act quickly. I know someone who was stupid enough to pursue the complete gamut (sunrise to sunset) over five years (at least) and he is hallucinating about pursuing the above scenarios as well?! :wink:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #11646 by ayiomamitis
Bill,

We crossed messages and it is good that we did ... see my addendum to John and how it would impact your visit here! :lol: :lol:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds