K-Tec

M13 Revisted.

More
18 years 11 months ago #11672 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: M13 Revisted.

Great shot and colours Dave G. Looks very Christmassy with those blues and reds.

I was thinking the same! Great image Dave! There is also a sense of depth to it with the different colours. As Dave Lillis said, if your tracking was perfect, it would be 100% superb. For now, I'll give it 99%

:lol:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 11 months ago #11673 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: M13 Revisted.
Well I discovered something yesterday. I decided to give the mount a bit of a tweak in the vain hope it might be clear last night. What I discovered was all the bolts holding the thing together were loose. I must have loosened them a while back and never re-tightened them. So the botton line is that photo was taken with a mount practically falling apart!!! Cant wait to try again now its all tightened up.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 11 months ago #11678 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: M13 Revisted.
That's a nice shot Dave G. And for two 30 sec exposures, your tracking was good - but the tightened mount should improve it further.

What kind of colour processing did you do? My original image showed a core of predominantly red stars. The picture I posted was heavily processed but the red core was definately there. That said, I wasn't using an IR filter though I'm not sure of the effect of this. I know it matters for planetary imaging.

Cheers

Dave McD

• DaveGrennan
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 11 months ago #11683 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: M13 Revisted.
Hi Dave,

For this image I took the two 30 secs exposures, manually aligned them, then blended the layers using paint shop pro's 'soft light' layer scheme. I then made a copy of the resultant merged image as another layer, used a gaussian blur, cloned out the remnants of M13 and subracted them,(to remove the light polluted sky background. I darkened the area around M13 on the mask so that the subtraction would not dim out the core of the globular. Otherwise I didnt touch the colour balancing, gamma or contrast at all. (Oh and I subracted a dark frame from both images before I began).

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds