• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 11 months ago #11676 by albertw
Star catalogues useful for Photometry was created by albertw
Hi,

For a project I need to combine some filtered images (BVR) to a nice colour composite image.

The catch is that I need to weigh each of the images correctly. The B filter is slightly darker than the R so I need to measure the brightness of some stars on the image in R and B (and V!) and combine them accordingly to make a true colour final image.

Apparently the Landolt catalogue ( james.as.arizona.edu/~psmith/61inch/ATLAS/tableA.html ) is a good resource here. However it is concentrated around 0 Dec, and has nothing near M51 which is far far away from 0 Dec.

So does anyone know of a catalgue that contains the magnitude of stars with R,B and V filters? The best I can find, an then only for some stars is a B-V index, which still doesn't help me calibrate the Red image.

I'm hoping that there is just some interface to the HGSC or USNO catalogues that I'm missing. This data must be easily available somewhere!

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #11681 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Star catalogues useful for Photometry
Have you tried Aladin? It's an image server and so loads up images from a variety of sources - all wavelengths. I haven't used it in earnest but it looks well worth learning how to use it.

aladin.u-strasbg.fr/

Cheers

Dave McD

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 11 months ago #11705 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Star catalogues useful for Photometry
Cheers Dave,

I've downloaded it and got the RB and V fits images from IRAF into it and calibrated them so I can now click on (most) stars and get the magnitudes in B and R from the CSG2.2 catalogue, the first catalogue I bothered to look at. Guess I need to see what is in the other catalogues.

It also does the RGB combining, but I suspect that this is just a straight addition of the colours, and not weighing them.

Thanks for the pointer.
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 11 months ago #11714 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Star catalogues useful for Photometry
Don't forget to credit me in your project :wink: :D

If anyone else is following this, Aladin, from the use I've had so far, fills in some of the gaps in Starry Night Pro and gives lots more besides. I'm finding it a bit difficult getting to grips with it but it has some pretty cool functionality like layers.

If you are imaging and you come across some stars or other objects you can't find in your favourite star atlas, then give it a whirl. Or use it to get good data on magnitudes.

Cheers

Dave McD

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 11 months ago #11725 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Star catalogues useful for Photometry

If you are imaging and you come across some stars or other objects you can't find in your favourite star atlas, then give it a whirl. Or use it to get good data on magnitudes.

An example for those wondering about this tool

Thats a piece of Daves M51 image calibrated. The red crosses are from the GSC2.2 catalogue and the small blue crosses from the USNO-B1 catalogue, the amount of stars can be configured with filters, to only show above or below a certain magnitude etc. The info at the bottom has the data for the highlighted star.

It has a few more handy tools build into it, but I havent experimented with any more than this.

And its written in Java so it just works!

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds