Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy)

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #11846 by dmcdona
Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy) was created by dmcdona
Folks - this is a better image than the last one. Enjoy!

Details:

08/05/05 23:40 UTC
43 x 15sec images (auto dark subtract)
Meade DSI
AP1200 mount
C8 SCT
F6.3 reducer
Editing with Fits liberator and Photoshop

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #11847 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy)
That is a much nicer image than the other one Dave, more unmistakeable detail in this one. Still, for the cost of the DPI, it gives a very grainy image. When I saw it at work at Cosmos at the observing session, to me, its not an impressive piece of kit!

Still, it is nice to see someone getting the besr out of it with the kind of images you're getting!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 11 months ago #11851 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy)
Mag 17...that's impressive...all from a few 15sec exposures. It would seem that it's more sensitive than the 300d.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #11854 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy)
Seanie - this one was more combined images, but still only 15 second duration. I retried the polar alignment on the AP and got it a lot better. I managed to churn out individual exposures of the pinwheel at 40 secs a shot. I've yet to process them though.

As far as 'graininess' goes, a lot of it is probably down to techniue as opposed to the DSI. I've seen much better shots of 104 than mine - you can see clearly defined dust lanes for example.

Like anything else, I'm hoping to improve with time - this shot was only the second with the new set up (ie the C8).

I have to say, that for $299, this is still a pretty good camera. I've seen shots as good as cameras costing 4 or 5 times the price. I think its a good way to kick off the imaging habit. And after all, it can serve as a guide camera for another imager :D

Michael - obviously the mag 17 star was just discernable, but it was there for sure. But I did see a post recently that suggested that with an 8" SCT, the DSI can get down to mag 18, more with a larger aperture.

Cheers
Dave McD

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #11855 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy)
Seanie - for example, take a look at *this* blackeye galaxy - taken with the DSI. Compare it to mine and you can see I've a long way to go. But the DSI can do it with the right navigator :wink:

jemar.ldmi.net/astro/M64.htm

Cheers

Dave McD

More
18 years 11 months ago #11862 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Dave, Promotion to the premier league!!! That's a much improved shot, and anyway, don't be too hard on yourself, the M64 image was taken through a refractor!! only the best telescope type for deep sky work! oh, and a measily 150 minutes exposure :D

I think that an SCT is the worst kind because of the central obstruction.
Fine effort 8)

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds