K-Tec

Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy)

More
18 years 11 months ago #11867 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy)
Dave,
thats a much more natural image. Maybe a longer exposure would bring out a sharper image?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #11870 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy)

Seanie - for example, take a look at *this* blackeye galaxy - taken with the DSI. Compare it to mine and you can see I've a long way to go. But the DSI can do it with the right navigator :wink:
jemar.ldmi.net/astro/M64.htm

Wow! I take back what I said about the camera so!

Dave Lillis mentioned about increasing the exposure time on your shots Dave McD - would this not swamp some of the frames a little? Perhaps, and an idea, take multiple-second exposures and allign e.g. 2 X 15 seconds, 2 X 5 seconds, 2 X 30 seconds etc and stack etc.? Would that not help with noise AND saturation at the same time guys?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #11879 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy)
If the Toffees can get into hte Champion's League (yippee!), then I guess a promotion to the Prem is cool!

I'm still finding my feet with the mount. I'm just back in after a 90 minute polar alignment :shock: and guess what, I centered vega and it didn't move a fraction in 200 seconds! So, perhaps tonight is the night for real long exposures.

Keith - you're right about the M64 - some of these guys have better kit than me. I've started off with the mount and the camera is next. Then hopefully I'll be able to afford the 6" Starfire when my name comes up :)

Only one thing on my mind though, photometry is my ultimate goal and I 'heard' that refractors may not be the best for that... Anyone know?

Dave L and Seanie - exposure length is king. The longer the better. Hopefully tonight... a one minute exposure *is* better than 10 by 6 seconds, so where you have a choice, the longer single exposure is best, especially for deep sky. I've seen images posted where they are taking 2 hour or more single exposures :shock: But then the Hubble ultra deep field was 10 days or thereabouts wasn't it? :shock: :shock:

I'll keep going and hopefully be able to show you something really good tomorrow... Watch this space!

Cheers

Dave (Moyes is King) McD

More
18 years 11 months ago #11884 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy)

I've seen images posted where they are taking 2 hour or more single exposures :shock: But then the Hubble ultra deep field was 10 days or thereabouts wasn't it? :shock: :shock:

The UltraDeepField picture Hubble took a little over a year ago was 28 DAY EXPOSURE!!!

:shock:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 11 months ago #11887 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Processed M104 (Sombrero Galaxy)

The UltraDeepField picture Hubble took a little over a year ago was 28 DAY EXPOSURE!!!

:shock:

:shock: What did it do when the sun came up? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds