New image - M94

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 1 day ago #12012 by dmcdona
New image - M94 was created by dmcdona
Folks - for your delectation... Got the polar alignment better tonight - I managed a single unguided exposure of 180 seconds with no perceptible drift.

I took 5 100 sec exposures of GSC 325-964 to start the task of setting up for photometry. I've still work to do on the image but initial indications from Aladin are that I managed to get down to mag 17 at least.

Anyhow, the image below was a bunch of 40 sec exposures. I like the detail in the outer disc of the galaxy. (Dave P - might be one to have a go at honing your processing skills?).

Its only 17K :)

Cheers

Dave McD

www.astroshack.net/gallery/M94.php

Details:
M94 - Galaxy, Canes Venatici
14/05/05 00:10 UTC
28 x 40 sec images (auto dark subtract)
Meade DSI
AP1200 mount
C8 SCT
F6.3 reducer
Processing: MaximDL, Fits liberator, Photoshop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 21 hours ago #12033 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: New image - M94
Great shot Dave. That mount is really pulling its weight (if u pardon the pun).

One suggestion is that you increase the dynamic range of your photos by stretching the histogram a bit. See the way the center is all bright and the edges arrive sharply? Tweaking the histogram will allow you get a much smoother transition from bright to dark across the entire galaxy.

Keep up the great work!!!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 19 hours ago #12040 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Aw Dave, cool shot, well worth the effort, I was just reading the binocular highlight today in this months S&T on M94, I hope to have a look at it tonight.
I love to see those spiral arms, maybe you could become a supernova hunter??? 8)

Keith..

More
19 years 4 hours ago #12067 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: New image - M94
Dave.
I like the detial in the arms, have you tried photoshop to remove the overglow in the core?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #12090 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: New image - M94
Thanks for the feedback folks.

I'm really honing my tracking skills at the moment and figuring out the magnitude limts of the setup I have. This is in preparation for possible photometry work. So, I've rather neglected my proceesing skills and pretty much left it up to the software (auto settings) so far.

I've read numerous articles and books that show me how to do this - especially reducing bright cores whilst keeping fine detail. So, hopefully I can do a bit of that soon. But its not a priority.

Funnilly enough, I was asked to image a suspected nova a week or so ago. The bloke in the US couldn't image at his local time (daylight). But unfortunately the tracking was so poor that I couldn't do it... I was offered a mention in the discovery document if I managed to get something...

Thanks again for the input- its appreciated. Hopefully I can help in some way in the sky atlas project.

Dave McD

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds