K-Tec

Anyone using Meade DSI?

• StephenK
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Sponsor
  • IFAS Sponsor
More
18 years 10 months ago #13385 by StephenK
Replied by StephenK on topic Re: Anyone using Meade DSI?
Thanks a million for the detailed answer Dave G. So, am I right in saying that I should go all out and pay the extra 400 gbp for the Skywatcher Explorer Eq6 Skyscan goto scope. If its way better than the standard eq6 explorer, a quick trip to the credit union will source the extra money!. Thanks

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie
www.facebook.com/ktectelescopes
www.twitter.com/ktectelescopes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #13387 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Anyone using Meade DSI?
Stephen. I think it would be a wise move to go for the skyscan option. Apart from the astrophotography benefits you get GOTO with the skyscan. You get an autoguider port and a far superior system to the standard EQ6 drive. If its only an extra few bob from the CU then go for it. You know you'll only want it later anyway. Just keep in mind that all mounts/drive systems have some error inherent. Even the highest end mounts like Dave McD's AP1200 have error too. So you will still need to employ either auto or manual guiding on all but the shortest of exposures realistically anything > 30 seconds. You may get more than this unguided if you polar align well and the mount performs well too.

A couple of other things. I've been looking onto autoguiding with a webcam and have gotten hold of a relay box to send computer requests to an ST4 compatible autoguider port. When my new scope arrives I'll do some tests and let you know how it goes. This has the potential to let you autoguide very cheaply, a lot of people are using this successfully so lets see how it goes.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• StephenK
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Sponsor
  • IFAS Sponsor
More
18 years 10 months ago #13390 by StephenK
As always thanks a million. I think I will go all out and get the skyscan option. It will work out at 1300gbp + 100 delivery, less UK vat = 1155gbp, which is around 1750eu, not too bad. A big step up from a Celestron 114gt! :D :D
I take it the Celestron c10ngt, or Meade lxd75 goto 10" are nowhere near the skyscan package, are they??

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie

• DaveGrennan
More
18 years 10 months ago #13392 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Anyone using Meade DSI?

As always thanks a million. I think I will go all out and get the skyscan option. It will work out at 1300gbp + 100 delivery, less UK vat = 1155gbp, which is around 1750eu, not too bad. A big step up from a Celestron 114gt! :D :D

Thats with the 10 inch newt right? That'll be a damn fine scope. I had the opportunity to use a 10" skywatcher reflector a while back and I have to say the views through it were smashing. My own little 5" skywatcher mak is a terrific little scope too. I think you're making a wise investment Stephen. Just remember what I said about photography and the wind. A larger scope like this will limit the amount of nights you can do photography out in the open.

Good luck with it.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• StephenK
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Sponsor
  • IFAS Sponsor
More
18 years 10 months ago #13394 by StephenK
Observing is really the main aim, but some short 30 sec exposures would be great. Just for fun.

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds