Olympus T Rings

• Paul FitzGerald
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #13874 by Paul FitzGerald
Olympus T Rings was created by Paul FitzGerald
Following on from my last thread re. seperate camera drives, what does an adapter for putting a DSLR onto a scope consist of i.e. t-rings etc.?

Does the camera maker supply them, or independent astro suppliers?
How much, roughly?

300D owners please help! :oops:

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13885 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Paul, There are 2 components I believe, you need t-mount, in this case an olympus one to connect to the camera, the an olympus t-RING to attach the mount to the scope. I think this is the jist of it...

Keith..

More
18 years 10 months ago #13908 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: Olympus T Rings
Paul,

As Keith said you need two pieces,
- a T-ring to suit your camera. This has the Baynot mounting as on the SLR lens for that camera and a female 42mm thread in the center,
- a T to 1.25" adaptor. This has a male 42mm thread and a 1.25" barrel.

I got mine from www.scopetronix.com by post from the US, total cost was less than $45. Look under the 35mm camera adapters.

I have seen T-rings in some camera shops here but the T to eyepiece adapter is an astronomy accessory.

Michael Scully

• Paul FitzGerald
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #13917 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: Olympus T Rings
Thanks lads. That's all quite clear. :lol:

I presume when you have this set up, you only have one mag. value, that determined by the focal length of your scope?

I've an 8" dob., so that should be good.
Only thing is photos would have to be of v. short duration, as there's currently no motordrive. :roll:

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13961 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: Olympus T Rings

I presume when you have this set up, you only have one mag. value, that determined by the focal length of your scope?

Yes, that is true. You can use a barlow between the camera and the focuser to give you more magnification. You may have to use a barlow anyway to reach focus!

The magnification will be more than that written on the barlow due to the distance of the sensor from the barlow. See below.
this is the Sun without a barlow on a 700mm focal length telescope.
and with it.

The actual magnification is determined by the focal length of the 'scope and by the physical size of the sensor.

The main thing to check is that you have enough focus in travel. The canon 300d needs about 45mm in travel for the normal eyepiece focus point. I needed to do some surgery and change to a low profile 2" focuser to reach focus without the barlow.

Michael Scully KAC

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds