new to astrophotography

• darren
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #14868 by darren
new to astrophotography was created by darren
Can any body give me any general advice on where to begin in the world of astrophotography completely new to the topic, thinking of buying a celestron c11-sgt or a cpc800

many thanks
Darren

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #14873 by gnugent
Replied by gnugent on topic Re: new to astrophotography
Darren,

Start out simply by taking shots of the stars with a camera (preferably an SLR). A digital camera like the Canon EOS 300D or 350D will make things easier as you can download the images directly into your PC (otherwise you'd have to have your slides/negatives scanned). For wide-angle lenses (18mm for digital cameras, 24-28mm for film SLRs), keep your shots to under 30s to prevent getting star trails. Times will be correspondingly shorter for 50mm and telephoto lenses. Shoot for longer if what you want to get is a star trail picture. Depending on how light-polluted your skies are, you can shoot for up to 5 minutes (use the Bulb setting on the camera and a cable release) before sky glow burns out the background stars.

With the like of Registax ( registax.astronomy.net/ ) or Registar ( www.aurigaimaging.com/ ) you can auto-align and stack images to emulate a single long exposure.

Depending on your local light pollution, it might be worth investing in a 2" Skyglow filter and an adapter ring to allow it to be mounted on your lens.

If you don't (or won't) have a scope that automatically tracks the stars, with a little DIY, you can build a Barndoor tracker that will let you take exposures several minutes long before star trailing becomes a problem. Plans for one are listed at: www.philharrington.net/scotch.htm

If you're planning to do astrophotography with your telescope, you can get good shots of the Moon by hooking your camera up at the eyepiece end using various adapters. You will need to have a scope that tracks the sky if you want to do any kind of serious work though, even for the Moon. There's always the option of piggybacking your camera on your driven telescope. If your drive is inaccurate for any reason, photos taken this way will be more forgiving than those take with the camera mounted in place of an eyepiece.

Get yourself a webcam such as a Toucam (pretty much any webcam will do but others here will be able to provide specific recommendations). It's a cheap way to get into electronic imaging. They go in place of the eyepiece. Registax was designed to be used with images from these kinds of cameras and some brilliant images have been taken over the last few years.

If you have a digital SLR, you can mount that at the eyepiece end and turn the scope into a super-telephoto lens. Good tracking is essential to avoid blobby or mis-shapen stars. The same holds true for dedicated CCD cameras such as those from Starlight Xpress or SBIG.

I haven't had the opportunity to take images myself for a while now due to various circumstances, but my best efforts are on this page: www.nightskyobserver.com/astrophotography.php

Hope I've at least pointed you in the right direction!

Cheers,

Gary.

• darren
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #14883 by darren
Replied by darren on topic astrophotography
Thanks Gary it is a start in the right direction

Darren

More
18 years 9 months ago #14911 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: new to astrophotography
Hi Darren - what kind of astrophotography are you interested in? And have you any iodea what your goals might be? (take pretty pictures, do science stuff). Also, what kind of images do you want? Planets, wide-field Milky Way shots, lunar/solar...

Like pretty much any of this hobby, giving a good answer to a general question is difficult.

But I would recommend you sit down and try and think about your goals before making any purchases. Otherwise you could well spend money you don't need to.

There's a presentation on astrophotography I gave to Kas a week ago here:

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...Astrophotography.pdf

This might help.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Dave McD

• darren
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #14946 by darren
Replied by darren on topic Re: new to astrophotography
Thanks for that Dave I will sit down and try to work out what exactly what I want

many thanks
Darren

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds