K-Tec

Sunspots - 16th May

More
19 years 11 months ago #2874 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Sunspots - 16th May
Michael,

If I were in your place, I would choose the greater size version. Not only does the greater focal length mean easier focusing but you will also be better suited for capturing, for example, the black-drop effect.

Full disk images are nice but Venus will be around 1/32nd of the diameter of the sun, from what I recall, which means a full disk image will do injustice to Venus. Add a half-decent sunspot or two in the area and everyone will be asking where/who is Venus. :D

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 11 months ago #2876 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Sunspots - 16th May
Anthony,

Thanks for that. I do find focusing very difficult. As you pointed out, at longer focal lengths it should be easier, especially if there's a sunspot. It'd give me something to focus onto prior to the start of the transit.

Let's just hope the weather will co-operate!!!

Michael

More
19 years 11 months ago #2879 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Sunspots - 16th May
Assuming the weather is good, and unfortunately that's a HUGE if, then you should be able to use a waning gibbous moon to focus. I actually plan on getting on site while it's still dark, aligning the goto, and spending soom time checking the moon out. That's if all goes to plan.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
19 years 11 months ago #2887 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Sunspots - 16th May
Michael/Shane,

I often find the edge of the moon or sun to be a great means to nailing good focus. Now, if you have something like a split-screen focusing mirror in your camera (or knife-edge focuser), the edge will get you perfect focus in seconds.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
19 years 11 months ago #2889 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Sunspots - 16th May
Hi All,
Great to see fierce activity here :)
BTW, Mercury will also be just above the horison a small while before sunrise, or is this asking for too much ??, Anyway like all you lads, I've been practicing with telescopes/camera combinations.

The first pic is wiht the 12" and a full aperture solar filter and a canoneos 300D. For the transit, this does not appear to be the way to go as like what was said earlier, Venus will look like a sunspot !!

homepage.eircom.net/%7Esac/graphics/sun/sunvis_180504.jpg
I deliberately used low quality images, otherwise I'll end up with literaly gigabytes of pics on the harddrive and spend the next year processing them, the webcam would be better here and give a more magnified image, just like with the planets. This next pic was taken at the same time through a 70 mm solarmax h-alpha scope and the webcam, which I'm "testing" until the next Whirlpool start party. :lol: :lol:

I've tinted this a yellow colour, just to be different.

homepage.eircom.net/%7Esac/graphics/sun/...ha_yellow_lowres.jpg
So the question is, would you use the h-alpha scope or white light scope, or is that a stupid question??, maybe use both !!, but even if I bought another webcam, I dont think the laptop could handle it, or could it ??, has anyone tried this ???

Either way, I think the canon may not be the best camera for the transit, webcams rule :wink:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 11 months ago #2951 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Sunspots - 16th May

So the question is, would you use the h-alpha scope or white light scope, or is that a stupid question??, maybe use both !!, but even if I bought another webcam, I dont think the laptop could handle it, or could it ??, has anyone tried this ???

I presume from the resounding silence that the answer is NO.
I'll just have to try it with a friends webcam

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds