K-Tec

Some more photo questions.

More
19 years 5 months ago #6232 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Canon D60 and focusing

But when I put the camera into the telescope with the t-ring and adapter it is almost impossible to focus the camera on anything through the telescope.

Focus the camera to infinity. Use the telescope focuser to focus with, otherwise things can get confusing!

But as michael said, we'd need more info on the type of setup you have.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #6234 by SeanOSullivan
Replied by SeanOSullivan on topic Re: Some more photo questions.
Hi folks,
Cheers for the responce. As I said I have just started this type of photography but the the telescope I have is a Soligor 3.7" refractor and only recently I got one of the Meade etx 70.

Cheers

Sean

More
19 years 5 months ago #6242 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Canon D60 and focusing

But when I put the camera into the telescope with the t-ring and adapter it is almost impossible to focus the camera on anything through the telescope.

Focus the camera to infinity. Use the telescope focuser to focus with, otherwise things can get confusing!

But as michael said, we'd need more info on the type of setup you have.

You need to center a bright star in the field of view first using an eyepiece,
then put on the camera as quickly as possible without moving the telescope.
If a star is out of focus, then you;ll see a disk of light where the star should be, if you turn the focus dial, you'll see it either getting bigger or smaller, there are 3 scenarios,

1, I've found that star images are extremely faint when looking through a SLR camera when attached to a telescope, try a bright star like aldebaren etc.

2, as you focus and the camera is moving away from the scope and the disk is getting smaller but then the focuser reaches the end of its travel but the disk is still present, then you'll need to get extension tubes to add extra distance to the camera, this is a common problem.

3, as you turn the focus dial and the disks are getting smaller but you do not reach focus before the camera reaches the start point of the focuser (fully up to the tube), if you can put on a barlow, this might help focsing, but usually there isnt much you can do about it.

I have a 4" F5 celestron refractor and when I put the camera on it the camera literally reaches focus when the focus tube is fully racked out.

Scopetronix.com do extension tubes.

good luck,

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds