Orion Rising and Noise Software

• galwayskywatchers
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 4 months ago #6366 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: Orion Rising and Noise Software
Hi everyone,
yeah that photo of Orion rising over the Robe was one of my first experimental shots of Moonlit exposures, just bought a Fuji FinePix S 5500 last weekend, last night was my first night out with it, got it for E399, not bad, does 15 sec manual from ISO 64-400, so is a perfect starter camera for me.

Ronan Newman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #6370 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Orion Rising and Noise Software

BTW, Does anybody know of some good software the will reduce noise?
Cheers, Keith..

Keith,

A piece of software which is popular in relation to noise reduction is NeatImage. Further details at www.perseus.gr/Astro-Software.htm .

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
19 years 4 months ago #6375 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Orion Rising and Noise Software
Folks - the subject of 'noise' in an image is as vast as the universe - well, nearly.... All CCD's will generate noise. As well as that, your optical setup will contribute. A lot of noise is due to thermal effect within the CCD - hence cooled CCD cameras for advanced astrophotography.

I don't know if standard advanced CCD camera techniques will work on webcams and digicams, presumably it will - a CCD is a CCD... However, given the lengths you can go to, its probably of limited value.

The best place to go for advice is the net - or buy an astrophotography book (Ron Wodaski's is superb). look up dark-frames, flat-fields and bias-frames.

Software (Photoshop etc) will *not* remove noise in the true sense of the word. It will remove visual imperfections but only by changing the data (brightness, contrast, sharpening etc). But if the software makes your image look better, then go for it and forget all about flat-fields etc!

Dave

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds