K-Tec

saturn 28/12/2004 first attempt wth lpi

More
19 years 3 months ago #8039 by ei7ix
Hi All,

New to astronomy and this Board. Here's my first attempt at astrophotography, taken on 12/01/05. Equipment Meade ETX-105 and LPI. Autostacked abt 25 images with LPI software, minor processing in Photoshop (sharpened, cropped and enlarged).

I was pretty impressed as I managed to catch 4 of the moons as well :D

Some other photos came out better i.e. no blue tinge, but this one showed the moons best.

I think I will have to make a Hartmann Mask as I found it almost impossible to focus properly.

(alt+p)[/img]

Dermot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8041 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: saturn 28/12/2004 first attempt wth lpi
ei7ix,
that's very good for a first attempt. Well done on capturing the casssini division and the moons. Personally, I find focusing THE most difficult part of astrophotography. With experience it'll get easier, but will always remain a challange.
Clear skies,

More
19 years 3 months ago #8046 by ei7ix
Oooops :oops:

I forgot to put my name on my previous post !

Thanks for the words of encouragement Michael.

Dermot

More
19 years 3 months ago #8052 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: saturn 28/12/2004 first attempt wth lpi
Hi Dermot,
Do you have control over the white balance in the LPI, this might be why the colour tone is abit skewed.
Focusing is the scourge of astrophotography, and many a great photo has been deestroyed by not having this bang on.
All the same, you have a sharp enough image there, maybe stacking more frames will take away the blockiness of the image ??

Keep it up, practice makes perfect !

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 3 months ago #8099 by mjs
Had my first attempt at Saturn with the webcam earlier tonight. The seeing was terrible with lots of turbulence and visually I could not make out the Cassini division, but as I was set up anyway, I gave it a go and was supprised by the result.

I am always amazed what Registax can do...

I also got an image of Machholz near Algol with the Canon and of the sunspot 10720 with both the Canon and the webcam. These can be seen on the gallery page of the Kerry Astronomy Club website. All in all not a bad days imaging! :)

Michael Scully KAC/ SAC

More
19 years 3 months ago #8100 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: saturn 28/12/2004 first attempt wth lpi
mjs,

What a difference a "few miles up the road" makes. I was clouded over with rain even though MetCheck told me that I would only have 21% cloud.

I like your Saturn picture. Was that with a Canon or LPI? I intended going out with the intention of photographing Saturn. I did get an early chance at the moon with an old 500mm mirror lens but at F8 the definition was awful. I bought it in '99 to photograph clouds during the solar eclipse!

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds