K-Tec

Modified Canon 300D - Anyone got one?

More
19 years 4 months ago #7624 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Modified Canon 300D - Anyone got one?

Just pointing out that the Canon EOS300D uses a CMOS sensor (just like webcams) and not a CCD. It's the serious (expensive) magnesium alloy body, 8M Pixel, professional cameras that use the CCDs. Still, it's not half bad.

All of Canon's DSLR's use CMOS and only cheaper digicams use CCD's.

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7626 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Modified Canon 300D - Anyone got one?
At the moment a given CCD device is more sensitive then a CMOS device,
compare an average webcam to the Toucam pro, but then again after using the 300D, you can do great imaging with some CMOS devices.

Also, a given CCD chip is more expensive to make then a CMOS chip of the same size.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 4 months ago #7628 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Modified Canon 300D - Anyone got one?

Just pointing out that the Canon EOS300D uses a CMOS sensor (just like webcams) and not a CCD. It's the serious (expensive) magnesium alloy body, 8M Pixel, professional cameras that use the CCDs. Still, it's not half bad.

All of Canon's DSLR's use CMOS and only cheaper digicams use CCD's.

Not sure that we are talking about the same thing. CMOS is cheaper and less sensitive than CCD, which is why the 300D is affordable. A digicam is not a stills camera and a digicam's CCD has far fewer pixels than astro CCDs. High end Nikons use CCDs and I would have one if they didn't cost the earth.

Anyway, we are all producing good images with what we have. Would have cost us a lot more a decade or so ago.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

More
19 years 4 months ago #7632 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Modified Canon 300D - Anyone got one?

[
Anyway, we are all producing good images with what we have. Would have cost us a lot more a decade or so ago.

I reckon the current planetary images would have been impossible a few years ago !!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 4 months ago #7636 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Modified Canon 300D - Anyone got one?

Not sure that we are talking about the same thing. CMOS is cheaper and less sensitive than CCD, which is why the 300D is affordable. A digicam is not a stills camera and a digicam's CCD has far fewer pixels than astro CCDs. High end Nikons use CCDs and I would have one if they didn't cost the earth.

Yeah, just pointing out that the more expensive Canon's use CMOS - the price difference is CMOS size and body construction. CCD's are a tad more sensitive to low light but this comes at a cost of extra noise, one of the major complaints of Nikon's DSLR range (which use Sony CCD's btw).

These days the manufacturing cost of CCD's and CMOS sensors are similar, costs skyrocket when sensor size is increased. Another reason why CCD's tend to be used on cheaper cams is that you can cram more pixels on the tiny sensor. While this looks good to the average Joe, the noise is a real bane to the serious photographer. Trying to use ISO's beyond 100 or 200 on cheap cams is a noisy joke but the Canon CMOS DSLR's are quite workable even at ISO 3200. Readout speed is generally faster for CMOS too, while not a concern for astro work, having 5 or 8 frames a second is very important for a photographer (sports etc).

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 3 months ago #9124 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Modified Canon 300D - Anyone got one?

Just to add to any confusion :-)
The ToUCam pro webcam uses a ccd. Its the exception to the rule though almost all other wecams are CMOS.

So does the logitech QuickCam Pro 4000.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds