K-Tec

Machholz with NexStar 11 GPS & Nikon D70

• mythicalireland
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 3 months ago #8222 by mythicalireland
Replied by mythicalireland on topic Re: Machholz with NexStar 11 GPS & Nikon D70
NO, I didn't use a filter. I was working in alt-az mode. Have yet to puchase a wedge. I presume the l-shaped stars are to do with field rotation??

If I took three or four images in a row and stacked them, do you think the tail would show up?? Also, there was moonlight on the 16th - nearly first quarter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8233 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Machholz with NexStar 11 GPS & Nikon D70
You have some great pictures in your gallery there Mythical.

And your shot of Maccholz looks fine to me! Yes, there is a tiny hint of trailing, but as you said, that could be down to the alt-az mode. Your shot actually makes the comet very diffuse looking (large coma) with the absence of a tail. Could the comet be changing shape from our angle of observation in space? It has gone past its closest approach to the sun, which means that the tail will shift direction accordingly (always points away from the sun). In effect, its like maybe the tail is behind your comet there!

:D

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 3 months ago #8243 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Machholz with NexStar 11 GPS & Nikon D70
Great job Anthony. Really nice image. I must say the quality of images produced by members here has gone up logarithmically recently.

Regards,

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 3 months ago #8249 by dmcdona
Seanie, if the tail is *behind the comet*, then does that mean its now heading, er, our way :shock:

Dave :wink:

More
19 years 3 months ago #8254 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Machholz with NexStar 11 GPS & Nikon D70

NO, I didn't use a filter. I was working in alt-az mode. Have yet to puchase a wedge. I presume the l-shaped stars are to do with field rotation??

If I took three or four images in a row and stacked them, do you think the tail would show up?? Also, there was moonlight on the 16th - nearly first quarter.

There's only one way to find out, there is a tail, but it is very faint, I also used altaz mode, I find the wedge just too much to set up in the field, and since the comet was near the zenith, there was some serious field roration going on, as well as tracking errors.

If you do try and stacking them, make sure you select the core of the comet as the point for allignment, I did this once and the comets real motion became very evident as I got a number fo dots in a row for each star :shock:, give it a try, it looked very cool.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 3 months ago #8267 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Machholz with NexStar 11 GPS & Nikon D70

Seanie, if the tail is *behind the comet*, then does that mean its now heading, er, our way :shock:

Dave :wink:

Nah, I don't think so David! As the comet has just passed its closest approach to Earth, I think the tail will begin to arc away from us really. As it gets closer to the sun, it may even appear to point away from us altogether.

Now, I don't know this for certain, I have not read it anywhere, I am just assuming here based on a mental picture of its trip towards the sun in my silly little brain!

Is this comet going to be a periodical one, or get swallowed by the sun?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds