K-Tec

Moon pics - Jan 2005

More
19 years 3 months ago #8270 by ro_c
Moon pics - Jan 2005 was created by ro_c
Hi,

I've been reading this site regularly but only decided to join today!

I took out the scope and took a few pics of the moon on 18th jan with my old 2Mb olympus digital camera. My first time ever trying to take snaps and was surprised with the results! Here's one of the pics I took - the rest are more or less identical or slightly blurry so I didnt post.

By the way, I held the camera up to the eyepiece to take the snap. The camera wouldn't "see" any image in the eyepiece if i used a higher mag than 46x. Is this because the apparent focal length/optical path has gotten too long for the camera to focus properally?

Ro.

ps. I took the picture indoors through my front window.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8271 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Moon pics - Jan 2005
Welcome aboard!

WOW ... that moon picture is cool! And the fact that you took it without having to get cold is even cooler!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 3 months ago #8272 by ro_c
Replied by ro_c on topic Re: Moon pics - Jan 2005
Thanx Bart.

Yeah I was amazed with the picture considering the indoor snap and the street light which was shining just to the right of my line of site! Great little scope the ETX-90RA.

Ro.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8275 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Moon pics - Jan 2005
Hio Ro,
Welcome to the website!
Nice sharp image you have there. Got good detail in the craters, especially near the terminator. Nice one!
Clear skies,

More
19 years 3 months ago #8297 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Moon pics - Jan 2005

Nice sharp image you have there. Got good detail in the craters, especially near the terminator.

I agree! I find nothing wrong with that image Ro! You can easily see a few mountain peaks jutting out of the darkness and shadow along the terminator.

Great image for a first attempt, without a T-ring adapter, through a window, with a low resolution camera, held to the eyepiece! Well done!

:)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8306 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Moon pics - Jan 2005
Hi Ro,
Welcome, I like the picture you took, thats a great accomplishment given the conditions you were under.
As for why it didnt work with a higher magnification, eyepieces that give higher magnifications tend to have smaller lens diameters where you put your eye, when you try to place the camera up to it, you cant get the camera close enough to see into the eyepiece, centering of the camera lens over the eyepiece also becomes more difficult, I hope this makes sense.

What I'd recommend is, get the camera and eyepiece in daytime and put the eyepiece right up to the camera lens (forget the telescope), be careful not to scratch anything, and see if you can see the FULL circular field of view of the eyepiece through the camera, if you cant do this in daytime, then you havn't got a prayer in nighttime.

I hope you find this useful.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds