K-Tec

Registax 3 - Reprocessing old avis

More
19 years 3 months ago #8365 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Registax 3 - Reprocessing old avis
Michael,
I also cought the reprocessing bug after the SDAS talk on Friday.
I found an AVI from Feb17 last year that I just couldn't get a half decent image out of, the image is out of focus and turbulent and to compound the problem, I used a 2x barlow.
This time around I selected the Gaussian option in the wavelet filter section, and there is a marked improvement.
Its still out of focus, but not nearly as noise as before.

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...6440473-sat_big3.jpg

Reducing the image size further like on the right improves the image by compressing the graininess out of the image.

heres an original frame

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...106440890-unproc.jpg

The wierd blue to the upper far left of the rings is an artifact of been at the edge of the frame when stacking, also a tiny piece of the ring is missing, same reason.
This is just an example of how good registax is, I'm not going to too much trouble to get it all in here.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 3 months ago #8372 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Registax 3 - Reprocessing old avis
Thanks lads!
So, to answer your questions:
These images were taken with the Philips Toucam Pro. All the images were shot on the same night (16/05/2004). All were taken with my LX90 (8" SCT) without a barlow.
The first image shows the shadow of Io crossing the disc. Io is still in front of Jupiter at this point. The moon to the left is Ganymeade. This avi was taken at 22:24.(This image may look a little smaller than the other two - this is because I reduced it's size as to improve the appearance.)
In the second image, the same setup was used. This video was taken at 22:49. This still shows Io's shadow. However, in this image and the next one, you can see a little white dot at the very edge of Jupiter's disc - this is the moon Io.
The third image probably shows Io a little better. This video was taken at 22:51. The moon off to the side of Jupiuter is Europa.
In general, I used 10fps, although 5fps would have been better. The video clips range from 50sec to 80sec in length. As Jupiter rotates so fast, a long video clip can't be used as the detail will start to smudge a little.
Overall, I'm very pleased with R3. It's runs alot faster than the previous version. Although the pdfs on the website are very handy, nothing can beat a demonstration and I have to say well done to Dave Gradwell on his talk last week. I found it extremely useful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds