• James Butler
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 3 months ago #8366 by James Butler
Another Moon shot was created by James Butler
Clear night but quite a gust out there.

This is my first use of prime focus photography. Not much processing needed on this shot with the EOS300D. I had a go at Saturn. I must have taken one too many ring off as I could barely see a disk in the camera. My hands were cold welded to the scope so I'll try some again some other day.

Can someone tell me if it's possible to integrate a Barlow between the camera and the scope?

The RAW and bitmap are better than this jpeg, which seems to suffer from some ailment, top left.

Date: 23rd January 2005
Time: 02:11 hrs UTC
Camera: Canon EOS300D at prime focus of LXD75 10" Schmidt Newtonian F4.0
Mount: LXD75 GEM
Exposure: 1/2000th secs
ISO: 400
Processing: PSP9 - Cropping, Brightness, Contrast, Sharpen & Sharpen More

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8369 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Another Moon shot
Nice image James,
I was out last night for a short while also and man was that wind cold.
JPEG is a compressed format to reduce file size, but when you do this you loose detail.
I presume you're using t-threads to attach the camera to the scope, if so, I haven't seen an easy way to attach a barlow in between, maybe there is a barlow on the web somewhere that has t-threads on both ends ?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 3 months ago #8401 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Another Moon shot

I presume you're using t-threads to attach the camera to the scope, if so, I haven't seen an easy way to attach a barlow in between, maybe there is a barlow on the web somewhere that has t-threads on both ends ?

Dave is right James, thats what happens when you use jpegs!

But, I have also found that the programme you use to save a picture as a jpeg from bmp format also makes a difference. For example, Paint in Windows does a good job of decreasing file size from bmp to jpeg, but there is a severe loss of quality as you decrease the dimensions of the picture, and the quality on saving to jpeg.

I use Corel Draw, which does a magnificent job of shrinking bmps in dimensions, and decreasing file size (for e.g. email friendly attachments) without a huge loss in quality. Highly recommended.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds