Orion & Taurus

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 months ago #8812 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Orion & Taurus

One problem I have is that alot of the stars came out as a very strong blue before I even started procesing it.
Does anybody else find this? How can I prevent this?
What software should I use to convert from RAW to TIFF?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #8813 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Orion & Taurus
I use Irfanview ( www.irfanview.com ) a freeware batch processing program to convert my RAWs. You will need to download a plug-in (on the same site) to cope with Canon RAW format.

The latest Paint Shop Pro 9 handles Canon RAWS. It will cost you but you get a graphics processing package that is now as good as Photoshop but for a fraction of the price.

Also, as I mentioned in another post, go to the Canon website and get all the software upgrades. The out of the box software is very poor. Make sure to get Digital Photo Professional which includes a nice previewer for your RAWS, conversion to BMP and TIFF, and some histogram and white point functions.

The stars do look a little blue-ish. There is a White Balance Mode on-camera. Mine is set to Auto. A graphics program like PSP, PS or Canons DPP have a white point function where you can put the dropper on a blue-ish star that (from a star chart) you know to be white and reset the white balance. A black point function is also useful for setting the sky to a darker hue (jet black is not always best though).

Another cause of the blue might be the equipment, post-processing mistakes or loss of information in converting from RAW.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

More
19 years 2 months ago #8814 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Orion & Taurus
Not to criticise your great image Mike, but there's a hint of trailing in al of your iamges. was your iamge tracked? I just assumed because of the 3 minute exposure.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 2 months ago #8817 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Orion & Taurus
nice one ?Mchael, although I'm not sure about the fillming effect.
dont you know, film is been phased out :wink: :wink:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 months ago #8826 by michaeloconnell
James,
I have Photoshop CS which can handle RAW conversions. It's just that there are several options in the conversion process I'm not sure which one to select.

Seanie,
The image was tracked alright but with a very rough polar aligning on the eq. mount. I should have spent more time ensuring the tripod was level and pointing exactly north.

Dave,
Good quality film images do look good - a fraction better than digital IMHO. However, I wouldn't go back to film even if my life depended on it. It would however be nice to get a processing option in Photoshop which would make a digital image more like a film one.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 months ago #8827 by michaeloconnell
BTW, I appreciate the feedback and comments.
It's what makes this site so great!

Clear skies,

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds