K-Tec

Guiding experiments

More
19 years 2 months ago #8796 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Guiding experiments
So, just to fine tune the resolution to my confussion. To polar align for good quality astro-photography I need to buy one of those polar wedge thingys? i gave my wife a wedgy but it didn't help my photography, in fact I couldn't see for a while :twisted:
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• James Butler
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 months ago #8803 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Guiding experiments
I forgot which scope you have but if it's one of those ETX or LX AltAz scopes then it will probably need a wedge so you can jack the scope up to whatever many degrees north of the equator you are.

For long exposure photography trusting the computer align on the scope is not enough. You need to do a drift align too. For that you will need either a reticle eyepiece or crosshair software from a guide camera. Then you can judge how the field is drifting and then fine tune with the Alt and Az adjusters on the scope.

Clear skies but to too tired from sailing to be bothered tonight. Did we win the rugby? I have more than too much money on Ireland winning the 6 nations and have layed far too much money on Wales not winning it all. Gulp!

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

More
19 years 2 months ago #8819 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Guiding experiments

EVERY single night and it's a pain! Though it's getting easier with practice.

I saw a review for the LX200GPS-SMT in Astronomy magazine and wish I bought that instead of the LXD75. One touch of a button and it aligns to north, levels itself and then performs a 3-star alignment. Annoying!

The coming months will see me put a pier in the garden and then build a shed around it. Then come the 30 minute exposures!

James,
you have a great sky there, little pollution.
Next step, Barnards loop. :)
As for the 30 minute exposures, I wish it was so simple,
you need excellent PEC and perfect polar allignment for that.
Also, I dont think the canon is not up to it interms of noise, thats the realm of proper CCD cameras, maybe?? :cry:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds