Its worth re-processing old pics when you learn a little mor

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #8905 by dave_lillis
Hi ALL,
Given the weather today, I went back and had a look at some of my pics of Jupiter last year and decided to give them a run through registax3.
Last year this was the best I could get out of the images on May7th.

homepage.eircom.net/~sac/graphics/jupiter/jup11.jpg

Its looks a bit diffuse to me, not distinct.

After a run through registax3, and some working in photoshop, this is what came out.

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...97-jm_new6_small.jpg

To me it looks clearer, the funny thing is that the colour came out abit darker and I didnt get it as bright as the first image :? , I prefer the colour of the first image, maybe abit more tweaking on that front.
I also discover receintly one of two features in registax that I wasn't using, and it makes quite a differance.
So the moral of the story is that its worth keeping onto your originals, I've keep nearly every image I've ever taken of the sky, it makes up a few gigabytes at this stage.

It also seems that every time I get an image of Jupiter, the GRS is too near one edge or the other, never in the middle. :roll: murphys law.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #8906 by James Butler
Yes, I've gone through a few more iterations of my recent Pleiades shot and it looks much better. I have been learning about S-curves.

What did you image Jupiter with?

Have you tried prime focus with a DSLR on the planets? My latest attempts don't show a large disk. I might go to London on business soon and will raid Telescope house for some eyepiece projection and OAG equipment.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #8925 by dave_lillis
James,
They were taken with a toucam pro.
They're selling in pc word here in limerick for about 95E, definitely worth it for the planets.
For me, the canon is useless for planets using prime focus, the image scale is just way too small, I wasnt able to get anything similar to the toucam, then again I didnt spend alot of time with it once I saw the size of the image.
I havent tried eyepiece projection, this might prove much more fruitfull, how do the scopetronix eyepiece projection setup compare to telescope house, make sure you know the prices of both before you buy.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 2 months ago #8929 by michaeloconnell
I've tried imaging Jupiter with the Canon and as a result I think it's a little pointless when compared to imaging with the Toucam. As far as I'm concerned, there are different cameras for different types of astrophotography. It'd be very difficult for the Canon to compare with a webcam when trying to capture surface detail.
Besides, those eyepiece projection kits can often be alot more expensive than a webcam.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds