K-Tec

Websites to purchase Canon EF Lenses

More
19 years 3 months ago #9134 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re:

Seanie, thats not a bad deal, as James said, make sure the 55-200mm is a good lens first, I'm going to get one probably, but i've read some reviews about this lens, it's only rated at just above average.

Keith..

The key being the F number at the focal length you use.

F5.6 is what the 18-55mm zoom uses at the 55mm focal length and there is a marked drop in light gathering. F2.8 and below is best for astrophotography. Less than F2.8 is even better but terribly expensive.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #9143 by Lexi
Replied by Lexi on topic Lens
Hi,

Piximania is a great deal, if only I'd have known about it sooner I bought a SLR Canon 300V Eos before Xmas and it cost me €600 with two lenes the extra one being 75-300 but then thought I should have bought the digital...anyway I've been looking for months now for the 300D and I this is the best deal....Just note it IS worth getting the extra lenes in the deal, you can use the normal EOS Lenes but you have to multiply the range by 1.5 due to the differnce in mirror position of the normal EOS and the Digital that's why the digital lenes appear to be different ranges....anyway I think it's a great deal I just may have to invest myself... :wink:

Lexi

"Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll land in the stars." --Les Brown

More
19 years 3 months ago #9144 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Lens

you can use the normal EOS Lenes but you have to multiply the range by 1.5 due to the differnce in mirror position of the normal EOS and the Digital that's why the digital lenes appear to be different ranges....

It's actually due to the size difference between 35mm film and a digital sensor chip. Since the chip in the digital is smaller than a full 35mm frame it 'sees' a smaller piece of the image than the film equivalent.

By the way, don't forget the Nikon D70! - People don't seem to mention it much when it comes to astrophotography. But Nikon have the best lenses in the business.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
19 years 3 months ago #9150 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Websites to purchase Canon EF Lenses
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like a better idea to buy the body only and get the lenses cheaply secondhand, perhaps from a camera shop.

As was discussed before, not all camera lenses will fit the threads of other cameras. So, who recommends what lenses to go with the Canon 300D if I purchased body only?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 3 months ago #9153 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Websites to purchase Canon EF Lenses

As was discussed before, not all camera lenses will fit the threads of other cameras. So, who recommends what lenses to go with the Canon 300D if I purchased body only?

The right t-adaptors can connect any lens to any camera. I have a few adaptors that allow me to swap lenses between scope, Canon DSLR and an old Prakitca SLR. My Praktica lenses are screw fitting and the Canon's are bayonet.

For astro work you aren't going to need auto-focus so worrying about electrical connections between lens and camera is no longer a problem.

However, if you intend using something like DSLRFocus then an EF lens is a must for the camera as the software goes through a focusing procedure for you.

I'll leave it to somebody else to recommend other lenses but I would say all the lenses of the top names are the ones to look out for in second-hand markets and then look for the right adaptor.

I remember Anthony mentioning on another thread that he bought beaten-up EFs on Ebay.

Do you have a budget limit?

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

More
19 years 3 months ago #9191 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Websites to purchase Canon EF Lenses

The right t-adaptors can connect any lens to any camera.....

......Do you have a budget limit?

Thanks for that James. I don't have a limit per say, I am going cuckoo between thinking of getting onto the property ladder, or just keep living and get the things I have been dismissing because of the property ladder! Why do you ask? Have you other recommendations?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds