• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #9405 by ftodonoghue
Help needed was created by ftodonoghue
Hi guys

I recently acquired a 2nd hand skylux (70mm) telescope and have just begun to use it, in addition to my binoculars….The optics seem to be ok. and I was just wondering about the next step to take to capture some decent images of the moon….I do not own a decent camera,(really poor polaroid 3m pixel) but I do have a sony trv19 mini DV….Is there a way I can hook this up to the scope, and if so what do I need, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 2 months ago #9555 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Help needed
Hi There!

What you need to do is acquire/make a bracket which will hold the camera where your eye would normally be in front of the eyepiece. This is known as afocal or eyepiece projection. Some people have even gotten good moon shots hand holding a camera/camcorder in front of the eyepiece. Once you have gotten the hang of that you can try more advanced photographic methods. Please do let us know how you are getting on and post your photos.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #9582 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Help needed
I have tried that but not with much success. there is no exposure control on the 3M pixel camera so everything is very washed out. I will try again when the moon is closer to new. I fared a little better with camcorder, I will try and grab some frames and post them.

Cheers
Trevor

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds