K-Tec

raw color mode with webcam

More
19 years 2 months ago #9617 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: raw color mode with webcam
Very nice images Dave. Can you let us know the scope and mount setup? Also, I know the frames are grabbed from an AVI but given fps, what is the exposure of each each image? At 10 fps is it 0.1 seconds?

Finally, good luck with the observatory - I'd be very interested if you could elucidate on your designs.

Cheers
Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #9631 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: raw color mode with webcam
Daveg,
Does Philip have some optical test bench where he gets your optics perfectly alligned in a rotational sence, maybe this is how the image is better?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• daveg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 2 months ago #9678 by daveg
Replied by daveg on topic Re: raw color mode with webcam
Hi Folks

The scope is a 10+ yr old Celestron CG11 ie a Celestron 11" SCT on a Losmandy G11 mount. I use a Celestron Ultima (apo design) 2x barlow and a Baader UV/IR blocking filter.
The TUC Pro is set up in RAW mode (see WCRMAC on the net if you want to make the same mod). In this mode the max frame rate is 5fps and the exposure is set to 1/25sec. All the other parameters are set to middle and only the gain is adjusted (about 75% at 1/25).
I use Astrosnap to aquire the images and this saves it as a series of BMPs instead of an AVI. I then copy all the BMPs into Registax 3 to stack and align them.

Phillip took the mount apart and cleaned and regreased the hole thing. He also cleaned the lens and the mirror for me and did a brilliant job. I roughly recollimated but havent finished it yet.

The new observatory will be a run off shed. I'm using 1/2" shuttering ply and 4x2. I'll post pics once I'm finished.

Dave Gradwell

More
19 years 2 months ago #9700 by slattts
Replied by slattts on topic Re: raw color mode with webcam
Very interesting comparison! Sorry if this has been covered before, but how does one go about converting a Toucam (I have the 840k) to record in colour RAW?

Thanks,

-- Denis S.

• daveg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 2 months ago #9738 by daveg
Replied by daveg on topic Re: raw color mode with webcam
Hi Dennis

It's easy enough. Theres no changes to hardware just th firmware in the EPROM. Search out the freeware WCRmac on the net and follow the step by step insturctions. It does allow you to save the original factory settings in case you have any problems. Let me know if you have any difficulties and I'll try to help.

Dave Gradwell

More
19 years 1 month ago #9751 by slattts
Replied by slattts on topic Re: raw color mode with webcam
Thanks Dave,

Michael O'Connell also responded with this link:

www.astrosurf.com/astrobond/ebrawe.htm

I'll give it a try tonight.

-- Denis S.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds