Some Arp Peculiar Galaxies with 8-inch Telescope

• Mike
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 4 months ago #102555 by Mike
Hi Eamonn
There is indeed Southern Arp Objects with associations. This work came some time later and is perhaps better known as the Arp-Madore Catalogue, AM for short as these objects are listed as AM ****-*** from that survey. I believe it was published in the late 80’s in two volumes. See link for additional information…
ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/SPGA_Atlas/frames.html
Regarding quasars associated with relatively nearby galaxies from the Arp atlas it’s proven to be very interesting time indeed. The basic theory as best I can explain it goes something like this; Quasars are not the most distant objects in the universe but are associated in space with relatively nearby galaxies and therefore quasars astounding redshift values are not linked to the accelerating expansion of the universe but display intrinsic properties which are part and parcel to the quasar itself and thus independent. Quasars associated with galaxies appear to undergo an ejection process in lines or chains from the host galaxy’s center, Arp (and others) have found through statistical analysis and observations that the odds of such quantities of quasars appearing this way and associated with nearby galaxies is far beyond chance. Connected with these ejection chains of quasars from host galaxies are associated ejected radio material and x-ray material sources. This of course calls into question not only our basic understanding of galaxy formation, evolution and morphologies but also undermines how we think the universe is as opposed to how it perhaps actually is. In my opinion we simply need more astronomers like Halton Arp to push the boundaries and make us think more deeply, a sad loss indeed.

Hi Kevin,
It would be interesting to view your imaging efforts with a DLSR when completed.
The software is Mira-Pro v7 (2007). See link below for updated software. A short description I lifted from the website;
“Designed for critical astronomical applications, Mira® Pro Ultimate Edition™ includes research-level image calibration, data reduction, visualization, and measurement tools, plus a powerful programming extension language for scripting, algorithm development, simulation, and other computational needs”. Unfortunately it doesn’t come cheap but there are student versions which are cheaper.

www.mirametrics.com/mira_pro_ue.htm

Hi Kinch
The file was available from Software Bisque’s (Tom’s Corner) website. It was designed for their own “TheSky6” planetarium software which could then be imported easily into TheSky6 database. If you have trouble finding it online I can send it to you by email.

Best wishes and clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinSmith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #102560 by Kinch
Thanks Mike.
When I went searching I found that I had it in SkyX SAE as an additional database.

More
9 years 4 months ago #102597 by eansbro
I was surprised that some of the Arp galaxies were bright. I took some images of three of them. You could even use a 4 inch telescope. I can send them on to you Mike for your evaluation. It won't be soon as I'm in the USA at present, so when I come back in mid January I'll send them on to you.

BTW, regarding your observational work on asteroids. I'm in the middle of reading Roger Dymock's book
"Asteroids and Dwarf Planets". Thanks for your recommendation of this book. I would recommend it to any budding observer who wants to know how to do hands on practical observing and make a contribution to astronomy.

Eamonn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike

• Mike
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 4 months ago #102610 by Mike
Hi Eamonn

Yes, some of the Arp objects are relatively bright and within the imaging capabilities of many amateur astronomers. I look forward to seeing the results of your Arp images from a much larger aperture telescope.

I agree Eamonn, Roger Dymock’s book is a fantastic resource to have! It helped enormously in not only sparking this amateur astronomer’s interest in asteroids but also providing clear information on the practicalities of how to obtain an observatory code and undertaking asteroid photometry.
I can also highly recommend Brian Warner’s book “A Practical Guide to Lightcurve Photometry and Analysis”.

Best wishes and clear skies
Mike

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinSmith

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #102612 by KevinSmith
Replied by KevinSmith on topic Some Arp Peculiar Galaxies with 8-inch Telescope
Might be useful for anyone who does not have the catalogue database add on - a list of Northern ARP Objects by location, constellation etc.

www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/arppec/arppeca.html

I have also added a spreadsheet I use and I have filtered it by ARP objects. ( Edit: I can't upload the file even though it says you can upload zip files)

Here is the URL

Here is the URL www.astronomyclub.org/obs/whatsup/f_wud.htm
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by KevinSmith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike

• Mike
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
8 years 2 months ago #105537 by Mike
Given the terrible weather of late I took an opportune observing session a few days ago to chase some Arp Galaxies to add to the list.
flic.kr/s/aHsjpwCNrR

Mike

Cherryvalley Observatory (I83)
Co. Meath.

The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Kinch

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds