K-Tec

Cats Eye Nebula

More
19 years 1 week ago #11362 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Cats Eye Nebula
Bill,
Did you have the scope in altaz or eq mode.
Regarding tracking correction, did you have the PC attached to the telescope via the serial port or is there a CCD port on the LX90 for tracking corrections?? and so the program on the laptop made tracking corrections for the telescope automatically?
Just wondering. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 week ago #11363 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Cats Eye Nebula
Bill - you're right about the exposure time being one second. It might be worth while doubling this to two next time round to see what you get. Given that your tracking is very very good, this shouldnt be a problem for you.

I've never had any significant issues with the auto settings on the software - except the colour :wink:

Looking forward to the improved image...

Cheers

Dave McD

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 week ago #11365 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Cats Eye Nebula

Bill,
Regarding tracking correction, did you have the PC attached to the telescope via the serial port or is there a CCD port on the LX90 for tracking corrections?? and so the program on the laptop made tracking corrections for the telescope automatically?

It was in Altaz mode.
The laptop connects straight to the DSI via USB2, I could, if I wanted also connect the laptop by serial port straight to the goto hand control, but I didn't on this ocassion. The Autostar software then does the tracking for you once you are aligned on the subject and choose a paticular point for it to track, the Autostar software then takes over the duty of tracking.
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 week ago #11366 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Cats Eye Nebula

I've never had any significant issues with the auto settings on the software - except the colour :wink:

Looking forward to the improved image...

Cheers

Dave McD

Dave McD, maybe too early to tell yet, but I always have colour problems with the planets using the DSI. But the very pale green on the cats eye is pretty much as I saw it through the scope. But as seeing was so poor and the object very dim due to the bright sky, it's not easy to say if it is accurate colouring on the nebula.
A darker sky soonish and we will try again for much better.
By the way, the red mark on the image, anyone know what this may be? it was on the screen even when taking the darks, but during the capture and stacking, it changed from white to red. Is this caused by a "hot pixel"?
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 1 week ago #11367 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Cats Eye Nebula

Bill,

It was in Altaz mode.
The laptop connects straight to the DSI via USB2, I could, if I wanted also connect the laptop by serial port straight to the goto hand control, but I didn't on this ocassion. The Autostar software then does the tracking for you once you are aligned on the subject and choose a paticular point for it to track, the Autostar software then takes over the duty of tracking.
Bill H.

Just to clarify
The laptop gets the image from the DSI using the USB, if the
PC wasnt attached to the telescope/autostar how did it make tracking corrections, or was your tracking bang on without corrections.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 1 week ago #11368 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Cats Eye Nebula
Bill, congrats thats a great shot. A real result. Habemus Photum as they might say in Rome:)

Definitely looks like the DSI could be a real contender. Now you have me thinking. I wonder what I can do if I take lots of short exposures on my Canon 300D. That could solve my tracking and some light pollution issues all in one go.

Perhaps a crack at M51 might be order?

Keep up the good work.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds