K-Tec

Observing/Photographing Dwarf Galaxy Leo 1

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26486 by dmcdona
Best I could do with one 120 sec exposure before the clouds rolled in. Now we know why a ton of lumiance data is required...

Cheers

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26497 by gnason

Hi all, I've known about this galaxy for some time - it's printed on my SkyAtlas 2000, but has anybody ever tried to observe/photograph it?
The glare from Regulus (the brightest star in Leo) would be strong....and it's not that hard to find!Keith..

Not only is Leo I very challenging to image, it's also very difficult to visually observe. An open framework Newtonian scatters light from Regulus off dust, tube, focuser etc making things tricky although not impossible as I know of observers such as Tom Polakis who actually found Leo I quite easy with a 13-inch! Alistair Ling suggests well baffled refractors (presumably large ones) with spotless optics for viewing low surface brightness galaxies such as this.

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26529 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic RE:
Tough one alright! Is that Regulus at the top of the image?

Keith..

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26547 by dmcdona
Regulus was miles away - the tiny FOV barely covers Leo1 and is small enough not to have Regulus anywhere near - but as you can see, its a very dim object... :)

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26553 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Observing/Photographing Dwarf Galaxy Leo 1
I have to say Dave, I dont see it? :oops:
Is all that background noise the object ?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26558 by dmcdona
QED :D

The few stars you can see are presumably the brighter Leo1 stars. The dimmer ones are swamped by the noise. If the sky had stayed clear, I could have gopr a few more shots and stacked them, improving the S/N ratio. But as ever, the weather wasn't co-operating.

But Leo1 fills the image above - my pointing accuracy was bang on to about 10 arcseconds of the centre of Leo1.

Dave

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds