K-Tec

SXV H16

More
17 years 5 months ago #35141 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: SXV H16
Incredible images! :shock: :shock:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #35143 by michaeloconnell
One question, I notice that some of the bright stars have a trail in one direction. Is this something from the optical system, the camera or the processing?
BTW, those images are a great advert for the camera!

Regards,

• phoenix
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 5 months ago #35148 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic SXV H16
Hi Micheal,

The spikes show up on bright stars in some images. I think this may be due to flexture in the imaging train. The SXVH16 has a front panel which can be altered to make the chip perpendicular to the optical path but as yet I have not tried to alter it. Each time I mount the camera I would have to make this alteration but I am still having too much fun with this to worry about it now. It takes long enough to get set up and clear sky time is just too precious.

Kieran

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
17 years 5 months ago #35150 by michaeloconnell
cool. thanks for the explanation.
regards,

More
17 years 5 months ago #35158 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: SXV H16
WOW! superb images. I am getting into this game with the aim to eventually take photos( when i can afford a good camera!) but if i could get anywhwere near this standard i would be thrilled. fantastic shots dude! did you do much processing after actually taking the shots?

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

• phoenix
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 5 months ago #35163 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic SXVH16
For example the M42 shot was 100 times 10 second 1x1 luminance images and 40 times 10 second 2x2 images each for red, green and blue. Images stacked, dark field extraction (to get rid of hot pixels) and coregistered in astroart. Red, green and blue images then processed in Photshop with histogram stretches and curves and then resized to match the luminance image. Luminance image then processed with histogram stretch and curves with a slight sharpen. All images combined in photoshop to give final image and colours balanced. There was some trial and error with the curves but total processing probably took about an hour.
The more frustrating part is knowing how much exposure to go for. I tend to stack the images in astroart as I aquire them to get an idea of what the final product will be. A lot of concentration at 2.30am!

Kieran

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds