K-Tec

Top Variable Stars...

More
18 years 5 months ago #17337 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Top Variable Stars...

I'm doing a small project and I would like to find out people's favourite (if any) of Variable Stars 'out there'.

And due to the nature of it, I guess its going to be a short one!

To observe? As in to go out, and see if its gotten a bit dimmer/brighter than last night? None!

I find the physics of them interesting, but as for plotting light curves... lifes too short :-)

I'm sure the IAS Variable Star Observers group will have a different opinion!

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #17340 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Top Variable Stars...
Al,

If using a CCD camera, it is a piece of cake! Just let the camera capture exposures over the 3-4 hours (or whatever) the period is of the variable and then just let software such as AIP4Win do the calculations for you. The resultant file is fed into an Excel spreadsheet and the curve gets spit out automatically.

It is really a rather trivial exercise.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 5 months ago #17414 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Re: Top Variable Stars...
Hi all,
When you look at the sky the stars appear static, unchanging. The stars have become a synonym for constancy.

When you look at a variable star, chances are, it will also look contant.
However, if you persevere, and look over a number of nights or weeks woh! The stars take on a whole new meaning. Before you know it you have a light curve which has brought the star to life. Starlight Nights by Leslie Peltier will put it much better than I can.

Visual Variable Star observing can be done just with binoculars, just grab and estimate. No hours of setting up, just in time for clouds to roll in.

As for my favourite, its got to be SS Cygni, the brightest cataclysmic variable.

John
(Director, VSOG)

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds