K-Tec

New Nova in Cygnus

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26279 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: New Nova in Cygnus
I observed this new Nova in Cygnus at 02.00 UT this morning using the 8.5" Dob with 40mm eyepiece. I sketched the star field in an area expanding 2 degrees then found the Nova using star charts from the AAVSO. Just in time to as a large cloud bank soon obscured the area.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26280 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Nice one Martin! :D What magnitude do you think it was? You can submit your observation to AAVSO! WWW.AAVSO.ORG

The latest is that it has faded, there is a tool on the aavso website called the 'quicklook' file that gives the very latest on obs from all over the world.

Now catching your own nova - there's a challenge- not easy, but you would join an elite club :D

Keith..

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26288 by martinastro
Hi keith

Thanks for that. Its nice to join the club. I honestly thought it was still in the 8th magnitude range this morning. It looked fairly bright to me.

I will observe it again later as we have been getting clear gaps in the clouds.

Will keep you posted.

Clear skies

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26307 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:

Now catching your own nova - there's a challenge- not easy, but you would join an elite club :D

And a patient one! I think he could have more luck finding his comet! Still, considering the methods of searching for one can yield the other, luck might drop in sometime.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26313 by martinastro
Yea thats very true Seannie. The search for one can produce something else completley as always seems to happen with both visual and CCD hunting. To be honest this my first observation of a Nova (observed again last night - see my new thread) and i hope to see all the bright future Novae and maybe even the one Kieth will discover some day!

My 16" is going to be refurbished as i need a new rocker box so its currently MIA however thanks to John Mc Connell i will be resuming my comet hunting in the next dark period with his 8.5" dobsonian which has very high quailty optics. In the mean time 73P is a fascinating comet to watch..who knows what it will do in May?

All best

Martin Mc Kenna

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds