K-Tec

A few in Lyra

More
15 years 11 months ago #68484 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: A few in Lyra
Couldn't agree more Stevie, it's a 50/50 split between finding and enjoying, there is also the added thrill of splitting a close pair, especially if it is at the limit of what your scope can achieve.

I also believe that it is the one branch of astronomy where colour is so evident, the planets display nice colour, but where else can you see greens and purples, ice blues and deep reds, lemon yellows and dazzling whites on the same night?

As for living on a planet in a double star system? Have you read Brian Aldiss's Helliconia series? It might make you think twice.

As a side note, what scope do you observe with Stevie?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stevie
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 11 months ago #68496 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Re: A few in Lyra
I use the Celestron C6-SGT Paul, but without the goto switched on. I got this scope last summer and use it at home, while I use the 12" Lightbridge on trips to dark sites. Before that, I used the Tal 100mm refractor for all of my observing, so most of my notes refer to views seen with that scope.
I was never a great Brian Aldiss fan, more of an Arthur C Clarke man myself, but I'll try and dig out your recommendation sometime.

More
15 years 11 months ago #68501 by lunartic_old
I had a Tal 100mm myself some years back, still regret to this day selling it.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
15 years 11 months ago #68502 by mia
Replied by mia on topic Re: A few in Lyra

A nice read Stevie. Between you and 'lunartic' Paul, I didn't know there were so many attractive double/variable stars up there worth keeping an eye out for. A bit of inspration has been creeping in to me from you guys.

Seanie, the first time I ever met Stevie, he gave me a copy of S&T 'Skywatch 2007' (in exchange for Playboy) and said 'There's a great article on doubles in there', and proceeded to tell me about Epsilon Lyrae (the double double)

He also gives me homework!

The last assignment was to split Beta Monoceros which I could only split to a double with the 105 but thanks to Neil's TMB 6" refractor, it easily split to show a great triple!

His enthusiasm is certainly contagious!

More
15 years 11 months ago #68533 by lunartic_old
Hey Stevie, still got that issue of Playboy? Can I borrow it?

Rich Cook

More
15 years 11 months ago #68536 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: A few in Lyra
Paul you will have to get it from me since I am the clubs librarian now but there is a huge waiting list.

PS its from the 60's so hope you like swimsuits.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds