K-Tec

Pickering's Wedge

More
17 years 7 months ago #32817 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Pickering's Wedge

Marie's my significant other. We were both really surprised to discover how badly Fleming had been shortchanged. Marie's got tons more education than I have - a bachelors, a couple of masters, and a PhD. Doesn't much compare to my trifiling associate. Yet we both aspire to write a science fiction book. After she found out about Fleming, she checked for biographies. There are lots of web pages giving a few hundred words on her, but there does not appear to be any biographies out there. Marie retires at the end of December, so we might start work on a biography on Fleming instead of the science fiction book. Right now it's just a thought, but I shake my head in amazment when I think of the story this woman has to tell.

She was married, but her husband left her when she was pregnant. She was desperate for work to feek her and the coming baby, so she took on work as Pickering's housekeeper. It's fascinating, but they died about the same time, and she never objected to his taking credit for her discoveries. There's just got to be a story in that somewhere.

Well it sounds like a book that needs writting and since you guys are writters in search of a book it looks like fate has linned up nicely :)

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 7 months ago #32818 by Jared Macphester
Replied by Jared Macphester on topic Re: Pickering's Wedge
Check out Miss Leavitt's Stars.

Ahhh the good old days!

JMP

More
17 years 7 months ago #32832 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Pickering's Wedge
What makes you guys think that sex-discrimination is a thing of the past.

It was YOU who completely forgot Agnes Mary Clerke's centenary this year.

Not a single commemoration in Ireland for the greatest historian of Science ever.

Most of you probably never heard of her.

How many of you heard of that other great Cork woman, the Botanist Ellen Hutchins.

We in Ireland ten to forget about our great scientists altogether !

There are dozens of them.

Don't blame the past for present neglect.

Peter.

More
17 years 7 months ago #32835 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Talk on Agnes Clerke
Hi,
Agnes Mary Clerke is not forgotten. The Irish Astronomical Society will hold a talk on Monday, Mar. 19th 2007 entitled
"An Astronomical Centenary: Agnes Mary Clerke (1842-1907)"
by Dr. Mary Bruck.
Mary is a professional astronomer, historian of science and a IAS honourary life member.

The venue is Ely House, Ely Place, Dublin 2.
More details on irishastrosoc.org under meetings

John

More
17 years 7 months ago #32837 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Pickering's Wedge
Thanks John,

Dirdre Kelleghan mentioned that lecture a few months back.....and Mary Bruck's book.

She also mentioned that there is a memorial to Agnes in Skibbereen.

I work in Cork City with some Skibbereen people.

When I asked them where the memorial was...you have guessed it...they never heard of Agnes !"

Peter.

More
17 years 7 months ago #32845 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Pickering's Wedge
Mary Bruck gave that same talk at the Connacht Star Party this year so it was topical for her centenary.

A book worth reading by Susan McKenna-Lawlor is "Whatever Shines Should be Observed" ... all about the Irish female astronomers who made major contributions to science.

I'd also highly recommend Mary Mulvihill's "Ingenious Ireland" which covers many Irish scientists and their endeavours.

I highlighted the Third Earl of Rosse's bicentenary in 2000 (born in 1800) and there was nayer a mention of it even in Birr itself!!! Sheesh!!!

It's a strong statement to say most people on the forum have never heard of Agnes Mary Clerke and/or other Irish scientists. I'd dispute that.

atb,

John

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds