K-Tec

Irish Astronomy - how far back are members interested to go?

More
17 years 2 months ago #40779 by mythicalireland

I'd imagine its a bit controversial in archeology circles.

Oscar Wilde once said, "There's only one thing worse than being talked about. And that's not being talked about". In our case, the deafening silence thus far from the archaeological community could signal any number of things. Perhaps they're busy consulting their star charts?? :wink:

But seriously, we've had a lot of co-operation from the archaeological community. They've helped us enormously in our understanding of the past, and we'd like to think we're helping them also. I genuinely believe we have nothing to fear from each other. A number of archaeologists are friends of ours.

I believe the archaeological community is now, by and large, very progressive in its view towards ancient astronomy. I've heard numerous archaeologists discuss the idea of alignments at various sites. In most cases, archaeologists have no knowledge of the stars and the sky so they're starting from a point of disadvantage. Just like the start we had eight years ago when we embarked on this journey which culminated in Island of the Setting Sun. Back then, we knew little about archaeology.

Opinion is changing. Perhaps slowly, but it's changing nonetheless. It is clear that ancient societies all across the globe were adept astronomers. And why not? They lived under the stars, without the modern distractions.

We, on the other hand, spend most of our time indoors. And even if we venture out at night, we find our view of the cosmos obscured by artificial light. Most of us "modern" astronomers owe much of our knowledge to books. How much of our knowledge is derived from actual practical observation under the stars?

The ancients, on the other hand, learned by actual observation and passed on their knowledge, thereby enlarging it from generation to generation.

Just some thoughts!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #40783 by JohnMurphy

We, on the other hand, spend most of our time indoors. And even if we venture out at night, we find our view of the cosmos obscured by artificial light. Most of us "modern" astronomers owe much of our knowledge to books. How much of our knowledge is derived from actual practical observation under the stars?

Very true. Observation is more the verification of what I've read. Time spent underdark skies are limited to weather, location, work pressures, etc. etc. I do however make the most of it when I am out.

How many of us keep a log? My guess is not too many. I know my own is very patchy.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• Diane ODonovan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 2 months ago #41075 by Diane ODonovan
I'd like to share some of the pictures I have gleaned from medieval monastic and textile works, - they seem to me to be based on folk-astronomy and monastic time-keeping stars' legends.

I do not have a web-page, and a 'glitch' of some sort prevents my accessing the fliker site. Stumped - any suggestions welcome.

".. the Carthaginian captain Hamilar saw in Birttany about 600bc .. skin boats which were making (so he reported) the three hundred mile crossing to the holy island of Ierne (Eire)"

More
17 years 2 months ago #41091 by JohnMurphy

I'd like to share some of the pictures I have gleaned from medieval monastic and textile works, - they seem to me to be based on folk-astronomy and monastic time-keeping stars' legends.

I do not have a web-page, and a 'glitch' of some sort prevents my accessing the fliker site. Stumped - any suggestions welcome.

The way you spelled "fliker" might be the problem ?

try www.flickr.com

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• Diane ODonovan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 2 months ago #42072 by Diane ODonovan
:lol:
Thanks, but that's not the problem
:lol:

".. the Carthaginian captain Hamilar saw in Birttany about 600bc .. skin boats which were making (so he reported) the three hundred mile crossing to the holy island of Ierne (Eire)"

More
17 years 2 months ago #42081 by ctr

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds