K-Tec

Build your own solar system!

More
15 years 11 months ago #67683 by brownlow
Replied by brownlow on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
Thanks for the feedback. :)

I'd think twice about using Brasso or any other abrasive cleaner PJ. You're bound to remove the lacquer and the whole thing will start to look tarnished.

After applying and removing the excess shoe polish with a soft cloth, I used a spray polish (Mr. Sheen) to bring the 'shine' back. The gears are solid brass but I suspect that the other 'non moving' parts are brass plated. Proceed with caution as they say. :)

If you're planning on using the shoe polish Dave, I'd suggest you do it now.

It's a messy process and you'll need to remove any excess Kiwi from the base plate and engraved gear before proceeding with the build. It took about six applications to ensure that every little line was completely filled before giving the parts a final gentle polish with Mr. Sheen. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #67692 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
I'd think twice about using Brasso

I found that out the hard way. A few days ago i did use it on the sun and now its slightly tarnished.

I wont be making the same mistake with the rest of it. A quick rub with a soft cloth.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
15 years 11 months ago #67721 by brownlow

I'd think twice about using Brasso

I found that out the hard way. A few days ago i did use it on the sun and now its slightly tarnished.

I wont be making the same mistake with the rest of it. A quick rub with a soft cloth.

I'd suggest gently polishing the Sun :lol: and then applying a coat of clear lacquer. Failing that, I'm sure that Eaglemoss would be prepared to sell you another one.

More
15 years 11 months ago #67807 by GB
Replied by GB on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
Hi all,
Have been looking for a site which is dissucing the building of the weekly parts issue orrery and that search led me here. Down here in Oz we have just recieved issue #1.
Primarily but not exclusively my interest lies in building models, mainly wooden model ships. The orrery is a departure from my normal interests but like many people the night sky facsinates me and hopefully I'll also learn a bit more about our small part of the universe.

My expierence with this type of model (parts issue) includes the Red Baron's Fokker which was a 100 issues and currently I'm building the Battleship Bismarck comprising 140 issues. Personally I have never had any problems receiving one issue per week from the local newsagent in fact from the other forums I'm involved with it is usually the subscribers who have the most complaints. So all non-subsrcibers take heart.

Brownlow's idea of using shoe polish on the base is one that I'll be trying. Any idea how the polish will react over time??
Something I've been considering is using loctite on the grub screws to ensure that they don't work themselves loose 6 months after the model is complete.
One thing I'd like to point out is that these models rarely go together without the odd problem or two but these things should be seen as part of the modelling expierence.

Regards Greg.

More
15 years 11 months ago #67819 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
I'd suggest gently polishing the Sun Laughing and then applying a coat of clear lacquer.

Yeah i've been thinking about trying that. What kind of polish and laquer would i use?

Failing that..................i'll just paint it canary yellow,LOL.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
15 years 11 months ago #67840 by brownlow

I'd suggest gently polishing the Sun Laughing and then applying a coat of clear lacquer.

Yeah i've been thinking about trying that. What kind of polish and laquer would i use?

Failing that..................i'll just paint it canary yellow,LOL.

Trying 'buffing' it with a soft duster until the 'gloss' returns (assuming you haven't removed the plating) and then using a clear aerosol lacquer to 'seal in' the shine.

You should be able to get a can of clear lacquer from B&Q or Halfords.

If the brass plating is still intact but the surface is very dull in appearance after using a dust cloth, you could try using a proprietary jewellery cleaner prior to applying the lacquer.

Best of luck. :)

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds