K-Tec

Price of Books in Dublin

More
16 years 6 days ago #66954 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re: Price of Books in Dublin
Likewise, I buy the majority of my books on line through amazon.com simply due to factors such as much better value for money, even with shipping added on, and a vast choice of books. Also, got some really hard to find books through Amazon auctions at really low prices. Been a customer since 1999, never had any complaints about their service so far.

However there are some bargains to be had in Dublin if one spends a little time trawling through Eason’s, Chapters, Hodgis-Figgis and Waterstones etc. I have purchased four books over the last number of weeks on astronomy that were selling below half price, but as I said, you need time to look around (It’s also refreshing to get some exercise during lunch hour looking for bargain books I guess).

Thanks for the link Albert.

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 days ago #66956 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Price of Books in Dublin
Hi all,

I also tend to go for buying on-line. Often it's because I stumble across a reference to an interesting book which is now out of print or hard to get through a book-store. Also, some of the recent purchases have been expensive so I'd dread to think of the euro equivalent through a book-store (e.g. "Meteor Showers and Their Parent Comets" by Peter Jenniskens which was around $85 on Amazon).

The two search engines I always use are www.bookfinder.com and used.addall.com ... both trawl a number of the online booksellers and allow you pick the best option. I also never order off any seller with a rating on Amazon below 97% (exception is Powell's in Portland, Oregon who have always been very reliable).

All the best,

John

More
16 years 6 days ago #66957 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Price of Books in Dublin
I usually purchase all my books online through Amazon - not been dissapointed yet, and their suggestions for books which may interest you is handy sometimes if you're just browsing for something interesting.

I occasionally purchase books in Easons, but have found recently that I have more science/astronomy related books on my own bookshelf than they currently stock and its only accasionally that they have something new that I haven't already read. I'll stick to my online purchases methinks.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 6 days ago #66960 by dogstar
Replied by dogstar on topic Re: Price of Books in Dublin

I asked recently in Waterstones and they said they were using last years rate. I wonder if the rate of the euro had dropped instead of getting better, would they still be using last years rate for (new) books,

:lol: :lol: very good point John

oh wise man why is the universe so perfect?ah because symmetry loves herself.

11" sct,
various Apo refractors,
various cameras,
Losmandy mount.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds