K-Tec

astronomy & astrophotography for kids

More
8 years 7 months ago #104909 by Kinch
Replied by Kinch on topic astronomy & astrophotography for kids
For 2nd hand stuff: There is section on this site where members announce items for sale from time to time. Keep an eye on that.
Another site (in UK) that has a great variety of 2nd hand items coming up for sale and always worth keeping an eye on......... www.astrobuysell.com/uk/index.php
The following user(s) said Thank You: ballen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #104911 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic astronomy & astrophotography for kids
Hi Ballen,

Welcome to you and your school to the wonderful world of astronomy.

There's lots to inspire the kids and the IFAS calendar pdf will highlight events coming up that will pique the interest. I've a vested interest in the calendar as I compile it!

That aside, there's various smartphone adapters which fit into the eyepiece tube of a telescope. I was given one recently which is briefly reviewed in the link below. There's probably other manufacturers besides that made by iOptron and which also may be a little cheaper. The reason I highlight the adapter is that it got its first real outing for last night's lunar eclipse and although not used by myself on the night, one of the guys got great images of the Moon and even picked up the planet Uranus! A number of people along for the event also clipped their own phones to the adapter and were thrilled with the results.

www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipm...ne-eyepiece-adapter/

Kevin Smith of Meath Astronomy Group mentioned a link to a web site devoted to smartphone astrophotography but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Maybe Kevin might spot my post here and help my aging memory :-) The site featured some really amazing results and I think the school kids would love the idea of taking pictures on their own mobile devices.

Cork Astronomy Club are based in the City but have members county-wide. Blackrock Castle Observatory would be delighted to help with the club too.

John
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by johnflannery.

More
8 years 7 months ago #104912 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic astronomy & astrophotography for kids
Forgot to add, some great resources for schools can be found at www.unawe.org/ and www.astrosociety.org/publications/univer...-classroom-archives/ along with one of my favorite sites, analyzer.depaul.edu/paperplate/activities.htm

More
8 years 6 months ago #104926 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic astronomy & astrophotography for kids

ballen wrote: thanks for all the replies!!

i'm based in cork so i will try and see what clubs are around.

Hi Brian,

Welcome to our cool astrogroup!

Cork Astronomy Club would be a good place to start: www.corkastronomyclub.com
Depending on where you are in Cork, there are folks in Deise Astronomy Society (near Dungarvan, www.facebook.com/groups/deiseastronomy ) and South Kerry Astronomy Society ( www.south-kerry-astronomy-group.ie )too.

If you need help, all you have to do is ask. There is plenty of experience (as you have already seen by the replies above), so take advantage of IFAS!

Seanie Morris,
IFAS Chairperson.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
8 years 6 months ago #104936 by ballen
Replied by ballen on topic astronomy & astrophotography for kids
really learning loads here!!

i'm in carrigaline so the main cork branch might be a runner for me. i have a 9 month old so a lot depends on her! blackrock castle was one of the main reasons i got into this, took my class there for a tara workshop which was absolutely fantastic!!

i'm going to put the spec below (with the info that was in the ad). i think i am going to get an adapter and a t ring, is this right to be able to use a dlsr camera?? i am still getting the hang of the polar alignment but once i do i will get a power pack to power the goto mount.

telescope spec

Meade Newtonian Telescope LXD75 6".
Computerised autostar Controller (GOTO).
152mm. f5.Sturdy german equatorial mount.
This instrument is not for beginners. It is a serious step up.
Comes with an illuminated polar scope.
Cosmetically , there are paint chips & a little rust on the counterweight, otherwise functioning well, rock solid tracking with the 6" OTA.
I am the scopes second owner, but it is well cared for, always stored side on , indoors.

Autostar controller and upgraded 'warp drive' belts & pulleys to motors instead of basic toothed cogs producing much more accurate goto slew & tracking on goto, little or no backlash and track over 30000 celestial objects.

Ota has been heavily modified to improve performance:

1. Fully flocked inside

2. Lovely orion optic oc1 dual speed crayford focuser- this will take the weight of any dslr camera without slop or shift, and allows for perfect focusing, the stock focuser is rubbish.

3. Stock finder scope replaced with a finder shoe and red dot finder - much more useful in my opinion than the stock 6 x 30 finder scope
4. 3 Vane curved secondary spider installed - so no visible diffraction spikes.
5. Carbon fibre vinyl wrap outside, just keeps the tube neat & looks nice- Not CARBON FIBRE
6. Carry handle added to tube rings, makes for a much more rigid cradle.

Modified to cigarette type 12v supply for use with a power pack.

More
8 years 6 months ago #104968 by ballen
Replied by ballen on topic astronomy & astrophotography for kids
hi again
i'm looking into the power pack for the mount. what kind of power would i need for it?? would something like this ( www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/tools-di...ghts-and-usb-sockets ) work or would i need one of the bigger ones?? they seem to be quite dear!!

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds