K-Tec

An odd sort of question - but interesting none the less.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26360 by michaeloconnell
Why do you do it?
It's fun!

What are yours dreams?
Astronomically speaking, to continue to have fun, whether that be in the form of visual observing, astrophotography or helping others enjoy the hobby.

What are your ambitions?
As above.

What are your thoughts on your “amateur“ status?
In many ways, I'd prefer to be an amateur than a professional...it should be fun. However, I suppose it would be nice to be paid to enjoy one's hobby! :)

Why would you stay out half the night (ideally in the frost) looking at light from a place so distant that it probably no longer exist?
Great way to relax after a stressful day at the office. Nice to get some fresh air. Enjoy the quietness. Requires one to think of our place in the Universe.

Odd is it not?
I find it odd that more people don't think "outside the box". However, each to their own. It's a pity though that areas of interest such as astronomy are not actively encouraged formally at the "average person" through the education system.

Or are you all simply mad?
Hopefully not! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26389 by donkearns
Why do you do it? It fascinates and engages me.

What are yours dreams? Not entirely astronomy related. See below.

What are your ambitions? To be happy and live in a warm country with clear skies, my telescope and good company.

What are your thoughts on your “amateur“ status? Ii's what I am. My day job is technical enough! Astronomy is my interest since Adam was a boy! It's open to everyone and can have great meaning. Depends on your mood. What a light show. Should come with a soundtrack. I mean music, not background radiation from the universe.

Why would you stay out half the night (ideally in the frost) looking at light from a place so distant that it probably no longer exist? If it exists in my telescope, it exists right now for me. Staying out in the cold is a challenge. Some nights I do. Some I don't.

Odd is it not? Nope.

Or are you all simply mad? Mad? No. I don't think so. Well maybe some of THEM! (kidding!)

Someone in the future might be interested in what you have to say. I don't think many in the present are too interested :)

I really must think of something interesting to use as a tag line!

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26406 by Seanie_Morris
Why do you do it? I have had an interest since I was about 5 years old, and I saw Halleys Comet when I was almost 7. There were also a couple of books in the house at the time on astronomy, one of which had these weird fiery paintings of the surface of Venus - that got my attention! Naturally, through growing up and learning more, my curiosity stretched that bit further in front!

What are yours dreams? In astronomy? When I do eventually build my final house (hopefully within the next 8 to 10 years, realistically! :lol: ), I am going to have an adjoining observatory with a nice big scope. I also have a dream of seeing my local club really make something of itself, as I've been in it so long, time for it has moved so slow. Another one would be to see the smart use of night lighting, so that in the future, the wonders of the night sky wil not be lost (2 visual magnitudes have been lost within the last century thanks to light and industrial pollution).

What are your ambitions? I really don't know, circumstances can change at any time, so, its kind of go with the flow, and hope for the best! But, I am not without my goals, some of which I have met, sme within reach, and othersbeing a flight of fancy.

What are your thoughts on your “amateur“ status? I don't really have any. I guess its all down to how much I enjoy the hobby with what I have got at my disposal. I don't really think of my amateur status as such. Its like soccer - I know I am a good player, and I will be (far) better than others, and the there are those way better than me. Guess I will always be an amateur.

Why would you stay out half the night (ideally in the frost) looking at light from a place so distant that it probably no longer exist? Its the curious side. I mean, I know my limits according to what I have to observe with, but that won't stop me trying to get a look at those distant worlds that I can see. Plus, for me, its another 'quiet time' that I get to have.

Odd is it not? No, not really. I have kept a record for years of my observing exploits, and its fun to look back and see what I knew when I was a young teenager, and what I know now - how times change! Its a different hobby to others, its my hobby. Plus, if everyone looked the same, we would get tired of looking at each other!

Or are you all simply mad? Some might say...

Someone in the future might be interested in what you have to say. That would be cool.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 2 weeks ago #26425 by dave_lillis
Why do you do it?...... I remember voyager going past Saturn in the early 80s, and that got me hooked.
What are yours dreams? ......To see as many M/ngc/ic... objects as possible and maybe the odd supernova.
What are your ambitions? ......To see as many M/ngc/ic... objects as possible.
What are your thoughts on your “amateur“ status? ......I dont get payed for it but would like to. :lol: There are astronomers and professional astronomers, I dont like this "amateur" bracketing.
Why would you stay out half the night (ideally in the frost) looking at light from a place so distant that it probably no longer exist? ......Its an endurance sport, the longer you stay out, the more you see.

Odd is it not? ......Yip!
Or are you all simply mad?...... From the insomnia, sleep deprived induced paranoia and frostbite, wouldn't you be :lol:

Someone in the future might be interested in what you have to say. ...... It might be the grounds of a good Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder study in the future :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 2 days ago #26941 by DaveGrennan
A very interesting set of questions.

Why do you do it?

Because no other hobby, (and I have quite a few), gives quite the same level of satisfaction as astronomy.

Imaging this; It's a cold clear weekend night. Your sitting in a deckchair under the stars. The only sound is of the equipment clicking and whirring. Occassionally interrupted by a colleague/friend having a quiet chat with somebody or the pouring of a steaming hot cup of coffee. Then suddenly the ground lights up as a meteor streaks overhead. That night you've seen/photographed wierd and wonderful objects that the vast majority of people in the world have not even imagined let alone seen. You look in your scope and there lies a beautiful comet like SW3 or similar. Need I go on!

What are yours dreams?

To continue to improve as an astronomer. To learn as much as possible and help pass that info on for generations to come. To build my own well kitted observatory.

What are your ambitions?

Also making some contribution to science is way up there.

What are your thoughts on your “amateur“ status?

Like others said before, I dont like the 'Amateur' tag. However I dont know of any other discipline where a 'non-professional' can make such a significant contribution. Also Astronomy is one of the few areas where professionals and non-oprofessionals collaborate with a sense of mutual respect.

Why would you stay out half the night (ideally in the frost) looking at light from a place so distant that it probably no longer exist?

See answer to question 1.

Odd is it not?

I see what your saying, but no I dont think its odd at all (my family and friends might do so though). Humans are innately curious, some of us are more curious than others. You could rationalise any discipline the same way and ask the question why do it at all? Why do groups of fully grown men chase a round leather ball around a field for an afternoon? Why do some people risk life and limb to get to the top of a very large rock! Why do others get excitied about used stamps/coins etc. Its what makes us different from the beasts.

Or are you all simply mad?

Who was it who said? 'Its the rest of the world thats mad, I'm perfectly sane'

Someone in the future might be interested in what you have to say.

Or maybe not!!

Good though provoking post.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds