K-Tec

Bad optics or bad eyesight?

• Keenan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 9 months ago #30765 by Keenan
Replied by Keenan on topic Re: Bad optics or bad eyesight?
I have already had a look at Jupiter. I could see 3 moons and fancied I could see 4. Also had a look at Saturn a few weeks ago.

I have been out a couple of nights in winter - I have a solution for the cold nights - a patio heater. It keeps the frost off the scope and the observer!

I use the binoculars most of the time. It's so much handier than dragging out and setting up the scope, plus a lot easier to use.

Thanks for all the tips.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago #30768 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Bad optics or bad eyesight?
Just one other tip Keenan

If you are using a patio heater near the scope it will probably lead to an unsteady local atmosphere and cause shimmering of any images in the scope.

Cheers
Trevor

• Keenan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
17 years 9 months ago #30776 by Keenan
Replied by Keenan on topic Re: Bad optics or bad eyesight?
Thanks everyone for all the tips so far, maybe I'm getting hooked!

I've been looking at those photos again and I'm puzzled. I can see stars, looking like I would expect 9pinpricks of light), but then there's a big reddish-brown blob with a green halo which is the object in question.

This image is a typical example, one of a dozen where the same object appears, albeit looking different in each one - allowing for camera-shake and newbieness, is this capella?

The proportions look all wrong to me - any ideas?

Several other photos at www.propertyfile.net/astro [/url]

More
17 years 9 months ago #30780 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Bad optics or bad eyesight?
Keenan, I suspect that what you think are stars are in fact 'hot' pixels - electronic noise within your camera and nothing to be ashamed of :D

The only 'true' image recorded seems to be a bright star, albeit smeared over a small portion of the frame.

In order to diagnose it better, can you tell me what camera you're using and what was the exposure time?

Cheers

Dave

More
17 years 9 months ago #30781 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Bad optics or bad eyesight?
I think what Dave is saaying may be correct. My guess is that the camera has difficulty focusing as there's nothing to focus on , hence the blur. Also, as the sky is relatively dark, the exposure becomes long and the cmaera shakes in your hands while the shutter remains open.
Just my hunch...

More
17 years 9 months ago #30783 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Bad optics or bad eyesight?

IMy guess is that the camera has difficulty focusing as there's nothing to focus on

I didn't think of that :D Keenan - can you set your camera to manual focus on infinity? That'd help - autofocus would probably get very confused...

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds